d7100 live view question

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I don't use live view much. I attempted today but my Sigma 50-150mm hsm wouldn't autofocus. I tried a few Nikon af-s lenses that were fine. Manual says use af-s lenses so this might make sense but not sure as sigma has a motor. Can anyone shed light on this for me. Thanks

I never use live view, but I think to autofocus when in live-view on Nikons, you need to use the focus button on the back of the camera, not the shutter button.

Which button you have set up to focus is the one you use to focus with, LiveView or otherwise.

3rd-party lenses can have issues with AF. My Tamzooka will simply fail to AF on occasion. Power cycling usually fixes it, but I've had to remove and remount the lens as well.

Focusing in Live View is discussed on pages 155 and 156 in your D7100 user manual.

I never use live view, but I think to autofocus when in live-view on Nikons, you need to use the focus button on the back of the camera, not the shutter button.

Which button you have set up to focus is the one you use to focus with, LiveView or otherwise.

3rd-party lenses can have issues with AF. My Tamzooka will simply fail to AF on occasion. Power cycling usually fixes it, but I've had to remove and remount the lens as well.

Thanks for input. As 480Sparky notes the focus is the same as out of live view. Reset or re mounting lenses didn't help... Live view fine with Nikon lenses. Turns out this lens needed updating to work correctly on d7000, I'm sure it be the same for d7100. I'll see if I can get it sorted and post back here in case others have similar issues.

Focusing in Live View is discussed on pages 155 and 156 in your D7100 user manual.

^^^ and the manual even has an index for those who can't get the vital info off yourself. :)

Also keep in mind that Live View uses a completely different auto-focus system than viewing through the viewfinder. The snazzy 51-point system lives up in the pentaprism, and gets no light when the mirror is locked up for Live View.

One thing to point out in addition to what's already been covered, is that it could also be a chipping issue.

Most reactions

Back