Looking for advice on new Nikon Camera Upgrade

okay I think I will hold on to my D7100 for now and get a new lens for Christmas.. thanks.. I feel better all ready......

Now for the fun part - what lens to buy!!!! What do you shoot? What's hubby's budget?

I am thinking of trying out the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Nikon .. I think this would be exciting new venture... and where I purchase will give me a few days to try it out....... thanks for you help.. and thank you everyone..

If you want a full frame camera, look for a used Nikon D700, like these: Search results for: 'Nikon D700'. But you'd need full frames lenses.
Actually, the D700 will accept both DX and FX format lenses. However, you do not get the benefit of using the entire sensor surface with DX lenses.

I think you made the right choice keeping your camera. I have had both a d7100and a d7200. The d7200 is marginally better, with a better buffer if you shoot high frames per second. The lens you are looking at will be nice. The lenses you have are ok, but far from giving you the best possible from your camera

I have a Sigma Art lens on my infrared converted Sony A3000 and it is sharp as a tack!

I am afraid with constant use that something will go wrong with the camera..
I bought my d5000 seven years ago (I think), from a pawn shop. I've taken it on some hellish journeys since then, and it's a trooper. Cameras very rarely just break down form too much use, unless you are reaching its actuation life-expectancy. Cameras have problems from not being treated right. So, I wouldn't worry just yet. And I agree that a faster (lower aperture) zoom lens will open up a whole world for you within the work you currently do.

I think you made the right choice keeping your camera. I have had both a d7100and a d7200. The d7200 is marginally better, with a better buffer if you shoot high frames per second. The lens you are looking at will be nice. The lenses you have are ok, but far from giving you the best possible from your camera
thank you.....

I am afraid with constant use that something will go wrong with the camera..
I bought my d5000 seven years ago (I think), from a pawn shop. I've taken it on some hellish journeys since then, and it's a trooper. Cameras very rarely just break down form too much use, unless you are reaching its actuation life-expectancy. Cameras have problems from not being treated right. So, I wouldn't worry just yet. And I agree that a faster (lower aperture) zoom lens will open up a whole world for you within the work you currently do.
thanks ... I had some trouble uploading my photos on one of the imports on the camera.. I seem to have to jingle the wire around a bit for good contact before my photos upload onto the PC.. so far it has not been a huge problem.. it works in a few seconds.. from moving it a bit..but I thought maybe whats next.. I do take very good care of my camera..always keeping it in the case .. every day.. cleaning the sensor etc.. so yes I can picture many good years ahead .. but just do not want any problems .. I want it ready when I am ready....love my camera.....

I have a D700 from 2011, and a D810 from 2014, and they still work excellently, like a charm. If treated well, your D7100 will last for years to come... It's a great camera, and the D7200 only improves marginally when compared to the D7100.

The 50-100mm f/1.8, on the other hand, will highly upgrade your D7100. It will feel like a brand new camera experience. Glass is always more important than the camera body.

Have a great light, always!

thanks for good advice.. I cannot wait to try this lens........but will have to wait until xmas is closer..

okay I think I will hold on to my D7100 for now and get a new lens for Christmas.. thanks.. I feel better all ready......
Before I upgraded to the D750 I bought all the lenses I needed first.
I got the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 and then the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC
After I got these I got my D750
Couple fast pro lenses with the amazing D750 and you got an amazing package.
I must admit, even with the fast glass I find APS-C low light performance (not just the D7100 but any other I tried) lacking for my needs.
And I do love getting the wide true range from my lenses, I like it when 24mm is 24mm and not really a perceived 36mm

I have a D700 from 2011, and a D810 from 2014, and they still work excellently, like a charm. If treated well, your D7100 will last for years to come... It's a great camera, and the D7200 only improves marginally when compared to the D7100.

The 50-100mm f/1.8, on the other hand, will highly upgrade your D7100. It will feel like a brand new camera experience. Glass is always more important than the camera body.

Have a great light, always!
Only problem with the Sigma 50-100mm 1.8 is that its a DX lens.
If you stick to DX then this is a great investment, if not then you will not really gain much by using it in future on an FX body.

Superzoom lens design is fraught with a long list of image quality compromises that have to be made to achieve a 15x zoom range.
Which is why all superzoom lenses have significant image quality issues at various zoom focal lengths. Exactly which image quality issues, and where they occur in the superzoom focal length range, varies by brand.

I would recommend selling the 18-270 and replacing it with 2 lenses. One that can zoom from 18 mm or so to about 70 mm and a 70 -200 zoom lens, while keeping the D7100.

The biggest gain in image quality will be had by upgrading your photography knowledge and skill, particularly your attention to light quality and direction, rather than by buying a different camera body. Replacing a zoom lens that has a variety of image quality issues at a variety of focal lengths is par

Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO review
Conclusion - Pros
  • Remarkable 15x focal length range
  • Impressive image quality in the normal to short telephoto range
  • Excellent resistance to flare
  • Effective vibration correction system, at least 3 stops benefit
  • Reasonably compact despite the long telephoto range
Conclusion - Cons
  • Slow and occasionally indecisive autofocus
  • Geometric distortion across much of the zoom range
  • Significant chromatic aberration at wideangle and telephoto (especially 270mm)
  • Macro performance rather compromised (very soft at F6.3, focus shifts on stopping down)
  • Uneven zoom action, zoom creep when not locked
  • Slightly sub-par build quality
Overall conclusion
First things first; the AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO undoubtedly represents an impressive feat of optical engineering, and Tamron has to be applauded for producing a superzoom that has significantly longer telephoto reach than its direct competitors (added emphasis) without further compromising image quality. That's not to say the lens is in any way perfect, indeed it has much the same optical problems as the other superzooms we've tested. At wideangle it shows chromatic aberration and barrel distortion (our test sample also exhibited one distinctly soft corner at wider apertures). In the middle of the zoom range the lens is unexpectedly sharp and shows essentially no chromatic aberration, but suffers from rather high levels of pincushion distortion. And towards the telephoto end, the lens is somewhat soft and shows relatively high levels of chromatic aberration, especially at 270mm (although distortion is low). But overall Tamron has managed to tread a commendably fine line in balancing the various aberrations without letting any of them become too extreme.

Last edited:
Before I upgraded to the D750 I bought all the lenses I needed first.
I got the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 and then the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC
After I got these I got my D750
Couple fast pro lenses with the amazing D750 and you got an amazing package.
I must admit, even with the fast glass I find APS-C low light performance (not just the D7100 but any other I tried) lacking for my needs.
And I do love getting the wide true range from my lenses, I like it when 24mm is 24mm and not really a perceived 36mm
I am going to look at some of your photos...... I would love to see in photos what the lens and D750 can do........ thanks

Most reactions

Back