Looking for insight and opinions on a CL posting.

shefjr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have never purchased anything from Craig's list before but, I do check it out weekly in case some sort of deal should pop up. Anyway, this has been posted for a couple months now and I'm wondering a couple of things.
1. Is the amount of time an indicator that it's probably Junk?
2. Is The issue described below something that I could have repaired directly with Nikon?
3. If you were in the market for this lens, would you take the risk in purchasing this one?

<snip>
Nikon 14-24mm 2.8 - $1249 (Buffalo)

Great nikon lens. $2000 + taxes new. I don't use it too often anymore. Takes great and sharp pictures. Fast AF. I lowered the price because when you zoom in it is stuck in one point and you have to push zoom a little bit harder than normal. But other than that it is in great shape and optically unbelievable. You have to see and use this lens to appreciate it.
<snip>

Any additional constructive comments are welcome. The 14-24 is on my of lenses to buy but, I have never bought used before.

1. Is the amount of time an indicator that it's probably Junk?
My first thought is people in that particular area, this high end of a lens may not be in their budget

2. Is The issue described below something that I could have repaired directly with Nikon?
I wouldn't think its that bad of an issue and could be fixed if needed

3. If you were in the market for this lens, would you take the risk in purchasing this one?
YES. well...

I would definitely contact the person and set up a meeting date to check the lens out. That is whats great about Craigslist, is that you can test the item (usually) before purchase. Ask the owner a ton of questions. Bring the total amount of cash he wants, but offer him a little less. For example, "I have $1100 cash, would you take it, because this, this and that." Don't flaw out the lens but make a meaningful offer to the seller.

In this situation you can't lose. Test it, love it or hate it, buy it or walk away, leaving with, at least you tried.

It has a stiff zoom ring function, which is a sign that it has been damaged, or is in need of repair, either now, or in the future at some point. The seller is asking for $1249 for a lens that has a mechanical issue. On a high-end lens, one that's damaged is not a highly desirable, easily-sold, used, private party item. If this lens were coming from a highly reputable seller of used equipment, like say KEH.com, that would be one thing; but its being sold as-is, damaged, by "some guy" on Craigslist...

I'm guessing, based on your description that it's a damaged focusing helicoid; about (IIRC) a $350 fix from Nikon.

Check the Serial Number and make sure it is a US serial number.
I've never sent a lens in to get fixed, but I've heard the potential repair issues with Gray Market lenses.

Does the seller want you to respond directly to an email addy instead of going through CL's system? That's a huge red flag they're just harvesting emaill addresses so they can sell them and you end up getting spammed.

Google the email and see what comes up.

I won't speak on the lens but I'll offer a safety note here. Meeting a stranger from the internet with $1200 in cash in your pocket is a potentially dangerous situation. Meet the guy in the lobby of a large bank. Lots of cameras and security. DO NOT meet this guy at his house or invite him to yours.

I won't speak on the lens but I'll offer a safety note here. Meeting a stranger from the internet with $1200 in cash in your pocket is a potentially dangerous situation. Meet the guy in the lobby of a large bank. Lots of cameras and security. DO NOT meet this guy at his house or invite him to yours.
i usually invite them over for tea and crumpets. I do a lot of sales in cash.

i usually invite them over for tea and crumpets. I do a lot of sales in cash.

Us 'Muricans do pizza and beer instead.

in the police station and banks?

Depends if my Wanted Poster is posted there. :bek113:

Thank you everyone for your responses. You have given me plenty of food for thought. :Hail.sml::icon_thumbsup:
My take away from this would be that it would seem to make more sense to just buy through KEH. By the time I bought it, sent it in for repair and paid for said repair, I would be at roughly the same price as the KEH prices. Assuming that Johns cost of repair is correct. Plus, I don't then have to worry about inviting a stranger over to my house for pizza a beers, while carrying my side arm of course. :gun::laughing:

I've bought and sold on Kijiji (similar to CL) and met the folks at very public places, for example Starbucks. But also sent items to home addresses with payment to come on receipt of the items. Never had a problem, guess us maritimers are a straight up bunch.

Most reactions

Back