Looking for macro input

Joldham

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, I've done my due dilligence in researching different macro setups (other than just buying a macro lens), and I think I'm more confused now than I was to begin with!

First off, I want to play with macro photography. I'm not sure yet that I'm serious enough to justify getting a dedicated macro lens. I've been looking at several "cheap" options, and just can't decide which would be best.

My gear as it stands now: Nikon D50, 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G, 50mm 1.8D, 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6. Filter sizes are 67, 52 and 62, respectively.

So, the options I am considering, as well as the pros/cons as I've been able to deduce, are as follows...

1. reversing ring for the 50mm onto the camera body. Pros: cheap, good light, good results (?) Cons: no communication with the camera for metering, etc, no adjustability in magnification.

2. reversing ring to attach the 50mm to the 18-70. Very interested in hearing opinion on this one, as I've been able to find any information about this specific setup. Pros: cheap, camera can still "talk" to lens for metering etc (?) Cons: unknown quality of results, probably lots of light loss, ?

3. kenko extention tubes. Pros: communicate with camera, keep metering etc.. Cons: possible quality issues, way more money than I wanted to spend.

4. lens attachment like the raynox or nikon 4t. Really, I don't know anything about them, so any input is good.

5. Any other options?

Really what I'm lookin for is relatively user-friendly system with some adjustability in magnification and good quality results, and not too expensive.

I really appreciate any help the more experienced macro folks can give me here.

Three things I use for macro photography:

1. Extension tubes. These are the best of the three. They turn any lens into a macro lens, and as for quality, they contain no optics, so you retain the quality of whatever lens you attach to them.

2. The macro switch on the Sigma 70-300mm lens. It's only 1:2 magnification, not as much as the extension tubes, but it's nice to have.

3. A loupe in front the camera's lens. Very low-fi and fun to play with. :mrgreen:

I'm still pretty new to macro photography, so this is by no means a professional opinion. Just my 2c. ;)

Well, I've done another couple of dozen hours of research online, and I'm leaning towards the raynox DCR-250 attachment. I'd really love some more input on this whole subject from the more experienced folks, though.

Well, I've done another couple of dozen hours of research online, and I'm leaning towards the raynox DCR-250 attachment. I'd really love some more input on this whole subject from the more experienced folks, though.

The final decision is yours based on your research, but I prefer extension tubes. Less expensive than a special lens, and as above, work with any lens.

What do you intend to attach this to? It looks to me like it will only work on certain mm openings.

I use a Nikkor 105mm f208 macro lens and I have the Kenko extension tube set. Whenever possible I also use a tripod and a remote release just to minimize movement. If you can control the lighting and you are working with a stationary object then DOF becomes a moot point since you can control the DOF with aperture and Shutter speed. I bought my 105 used and I have been very happy with it

What do you intend to attach this to? It looks to me like it will only work on certain mm openings.

I use a Nikkor 105mm f208 macro lens and I have the Kenko extension tube set. Whenever possible I also use a tripod and a remote release just to minimize movement. If you can control the lighting and you are working with a stationary object then DOF becomes a moot point since you can control the DOF with aperture and Shutter speed. I bought my 105 used and I have been very happy with it

The one I was looking at said with the spring-fit clamps, it would fit any lens with a 52 to 67mm filter size, perfect for the range of lenses have.

I have looked at the kenko extension tube set, and if it were about half the price I would be all over it. But for $140 for the full set, I have a tough time justifying it. Plus I like the apparent ease with which you can throw on the raynox attachment, don't even have to screw it on or remove a lens.

But the point where I start to drool in confusion is in trying to figure out how these different products will actually behave in use. Things like, how much light will I lose, comparatively? What will be my focusing distance? What will be my final result, size-wize? 1:1, 2:1, 10:1? How sharp will they be?

I just figured out that my 75-300 lens will focus even closer (5 ft instead of 9 ft) if I switch it to manual focus, but that still isn't any kind of real macro, and it is still an awful long working distance.

Thanks again for all the input!

Most reactions

Back