Looking for new computer and editing software; landscape

Millerscorpion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking for a new computer mainly for powerful photo editing using large raw format. So I am sure I will nee a powerful graphics card. I currently use a Dell Latitude with a docking station and want to continue to use this setup for other stuff and swap out the two computers as I need, so I want to stick with Dell. I have one 22" 1080 monitor and one 27" 4k monitor hooked up to the docking station. What should I look for in a graphics card?

For photo editing, I have used Photoshop Elements and Corel Paintshop Pro in the past. I have found both to be good, but both also have their own downfalls, like every software. I currently use Nikon's free Capture NX-D for raw image processing, it's powerful and I like it, but I see it as just a good place to start with NEF files. I would like to find a real good software for landscape photography; one that can edit specific areas like sky or trees, and can stitch panoramas. But if I have to, I'll get a specific stitching program. Any suggestions?

Why would you think you need a powerful graphics card? Your not talking about gaming or 3D rendering. You need to concern yourself with CPU and Ram.

I know I'll need a good cpu and good ram, but I would think a real good graphics card would be important for large high quality image files on a 4k monitor.

That is the myth most people fall into. Any card that supports the 4k monitor will be fine. Photoshop only requires OpenGL 2.0 which came out in 2004.

O.K. great, that'll make a new computer a little more affordable. The other reason I was thinking about a good graphics card is I would like to find a software to generate 3D video from a stenographic setup with two action cameras. I know GoPro has that, but I don't use GoPro.

If you want to do 3d rendering then you need a better card.

So now I have a place to start for a new computer. What would you think is a real good program for landscape image editing?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back