Looking for "Next Level" Camera

gb775

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been into photography for a few years now, and all the cameras I have owned have been for the most part simple point and shoots. When I take a picture I rarely fiddle around with settings. However, this year I was thinking about purchasing something a little higher level. I have always been interested in DSLRs, but their price and size detoured me. I really want a camera which will allow me to learn some of the more intricate settings of a camera (aperture, exposure, metering, F-number, etc.), but at the same time not require the mastery of these. Basically, I want a camera which will allow me to learn, and grow as my knowledge grows, but not blind me at first. I was looking in to the G10, which looks amazing. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a camera which will fulfill my current and future needs.

I started with an xti and am stepping up. I thought it was a great learning camera. I went quickly to manual mode because it helped me learn and I was bitten hard by the photography bug, but there are lots of in between modes. And if you are a casual shooter, it should last a long time. If you are bitten by the photobug, you might end up eying the 5d mkii a year later LOL

If you say you want a camera that will allow you to mess around with exposure while still allowing some leeway, and that you've been into photography for a few years, I would reccomend an entry level DSLR. It will give you full manual as well as auto modes if you don't want to risk it.

I know you say it's a huge investment, and I completely agree with you. But for serious photography, it's the only way to go. I did the same as you: I was into photography but could never quite justify spending so much on a camera. It is, after all, a long-term financial commitment. After having bought one, I realised it was the best purchase I'd ever made, and it really allowed me to pursue my hobby. Don't wait around teetering on the edge: if you think you want a DSLR and know you're into photography, just do it.

So you would say something like the D40 or XSi? Are the lenses that the lowest price packages come with good? and are they really that big and unwieldy? I just think that since this camera is mainly for trips and such, that size is a definite issue.

G10 is a nice camera for a point and shoot, but from all that I read, its not that improved from a G9 in final results. However, if you are looking to take your PHOTOGRAPHY to the next level instead of just your equipment... look into a dSLR instead of a P&S.

It may be worth looking at a slightly older spec DSLR model if you are keen to get the features you describe at a reasonable cost. The XT/350D and XTi/400D can be had for considerably less than the XSi/450D for example (not specifically advocating Canon here, but understand them better) and they still turn out very good images. I'm still using a 350D, and as much as I would like the 5D MkII, it's not a pressing need by any stretch of the imagination. Check out my flickr stuff if you need any convincing of what an older camera can do in competent hands.

I bought an XT used from my local camera store and paid maybe 500 bucks total with a bag, 18-55mm kit lens, extra battery and 2Gig CF card. It was well worth the investment. I would recommend getting the xti though, better screen and cmos sensor. I also believe it has a better processor in it, but not sure about that. Either way, if your not sure, buy used. As long as you can hold and use it first you should be fine. I have been very happy with all my used equipment!

oh, and as long as your there, ask them to see the diff in sensor size from the P&S and the dSLR. Its a vast improvement!

I was just at Costco and saw the Nikkon d60 with 2 vr lenses and a case for 649.95. thats a good deal i think, and new to boot. GL with your new camera choice!

D70S or D80. Great cameras. IMO, the XSI doesn't compare to the D80.

I'm a Nikon owner, but even I would question that statement... lol

Saying this or that is better without justification means little. If it is better... at least help them out and say WHY. Without that, your post is mere opinion and bears no weight. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back