looking for recommendations on a nice big carrying case

William Petruzzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.petruzzo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally outgrew my backpack case, at least in terms of weddings and more elaborate shoots. I'm now in the market for something bigger with some room to grow. The only ones I really know of are the big major brands, which also happen to be really expensive. Anyone have some personal recommndations for me? I'm ok with spending money, I just want to know that I couldn't have done it cheaper, you know?

The main gear in the case will be 2 camera bodies with grips, 5 medium to large lenses and a handfull of other accesories.

Anyone got some ideas?

First if you are doing this, go for a hard case. Soft cases can leave your equipment easily open for damage or theft.

If you are looking for hard cases, there is only one name that I trust... Pelican. Yes, they are a few dollars more, but what they protect is worth a LOT more and they are lockable. Also, as a business professional, this is easily made in to a business/tax write off, so those few extra dollars should not be a major consideration.

Pelican certainly do have great hard cases, highly recommended.

If you don't want a hard case, there are plenty of soft or semi-soft cases to choose from. I've found that choosing a bag/case is a very personal dicision and it should really be done in-person....so find a well stocked camera store and check them out.

I have several Lowepro bags and I love them. I also want to move to a larger bag and I had a look at a large Lowepro a few weeks ago, it was nice but it just wasn't what I was looking for. I've had a look at the ThinkTank Airporter (after hearing some great reviews) and I think that may fit the bill a little better...but it is expensive.

I have read a few photographers who take big lenses on wildlife trips (your 500mm sort) who are fully willing to put a lens in a Pelican case into the hold section of a plane - so they must be good!

I have to admit, this is frustrating. I've gone to three camera stores today. They're cases are pretty much either backpacks or huge airplane suitcase style bags. The closest I can find to what I'm looking for is this:
http://www.tamrac.com/619.htm

But even that is a little smaller than what I'm looking for. Even online the Tamrac bag is the most like what I want. I've searched B&H, Adorama and Amazon and I can't for the life of me find what I'm looking for! I know they exist, I see photographers use them. The question is, what the heck are they called that they keep not showing up in searches?

Man, someone in marketing had better be getting in big trouble for this one!

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations guys. It looks like I'm going to settle for something a little smaller (and less expensive). I decided I don't need too much room to grow. My lens set is pretty much complete for my needs and the bag I'm looking at still has room for an extra one and a half maybe.

Here's what I'm thinking:
http://www.tamrac.com/5612.htm

I think I'm also going to try out this Kata bag:
http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/katat214

I think the pair together will serve me better than one large bag. Any thoughts?

I use a Pelican 1600 case for carrying gear to work. It holds a lot, and there are a few inserts available that work well for camera gear. I have the velcro adjustable inserts, and the lid insert with pouches.

I use a Pelican 1600 case for carrying gear to work. It holds a lot, and there are a few inserts available that work well for camera gear. I have the velcro adjustable inserts, and the lid insert with pouches.

I've been looking at the Pelican 1650 to haul my light kit around in. But, I think I want something with wheels for that. I think my only problem with those big-dog hard cases is that they're accessories are absurdly expensive. Like, the padded dividers end up costing almost as much as the case and the foam is a pain to deal with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back