Looking to buy a full frame body. any advice?

I *think* Nikon warranties the d600 for life irregardless of owner(s).
But don't take my word on it because just to be safe I bought a refurbished d600 from Cameta camera.

Even though I've posted a bunch of negatives (im bitter... ok!) i would get the D750.

A D4, D4s, D3s... etc.. and your going to loose some cropping ability. So i hope you have some great glass (300 f/2.8 or larger).

D700... its a nice camera for weddings but RELAY shows its age at night.

D610... priced at $1896.95 right now (body only) at B&H. for $400 more you get what the D610 should have been.

D800... 4 FPS does not make a good sports camera. Sure you can go 6FPS in DX mode but then you loose your ability to crop.

D810... would be my 2nd choice.

D750... Gives you better low light focusing then the D810 or D4s. Gives you the same AF speed/accuracy as the D4s/D810. And as much as i wish it had a faster shutter... you don't really need anything over 1/4000. It's nice to have... but with 50 ISO and a max 1/4000 you'd have to shoot field sports on the sun before you'd need a faster shutter speed.

Just because its not the camera lots of people wanted... doesn't mean its not going to be an amazing camera.

yeah, the d750 is at a good price point with good features for that additional features if you are buying new.
So I agree with TheLost on that.

But now the OP is asking about a used d600 .. which has a much lower price point. I think $1300ish. At $1300 it's hard to justify buying a new $1100 d7100 DX if you need lowlight.

But now the OP is asking about a used d600 .. which has a much lower price point. I think $1300ish. At $1300 it's hard to justify buying a new $1100 d7100 DX if you need lowlight.

I've shot both D600 & D7100 under bad stadium lights... I would take the D7100 over the D600 in low light any day. While the D600 may have a slight edge in ISO the D7100 will actually be able to focus in low light while the D600 will struggle.

You can pick up a refub D7100 for $890

I've shot both D600 & D7100 under bad stadium lights... I would take the D7100 over the D600 in low light any day. While the D600 may have a slight edge in ISO the D7100 will actually be able to focus in low light while the D600 will struggle.

You can pick up a refub D7100 for $890
Same lenses?

I dont really get why 1/8000 sec is an issue for shooting sports ? AFAICS 1/2000 sec is the most any sport ever needs. I would want 1/8000 sec, too, but not because of sports.

The D750 is the successor of the D610. Like the D610, they both only have 1/4000 sec max. The D610 additionally has the inferior Autofocus system, while the D750 apparently gets the newest and best Autofokus Nikon has to offer right now, a newer version of what the D4s and D810 have.

I'd say go with the new D750: better video features than anything else in its class. Articulating viewscreen on the back for video use. AUTO ISO for video. A good set of video controls and a new video menu that groups the video settings logically. THE NEW HIGHLIGHT WEIGHTED light metering that premiered in the D810. The BETTER and faster AF system that the D4s and D810 both use, with the full 51-point AF system, as well as face detecting AF (which can be turned off).................all in all a lot of new improvements that are otherwise ONLY available in the D4s or D810, and are found in no other Nikon. I do not see much need for anything faster than 1/4000 second. ANd people pissing and moaning about 1/200 X-synch? Utterly insane! 1/250 is the best available; and so the 1/200 X-synch issue is utter B.S.. Besides--if a person wants or needs faster shutter speed + flash,wellllllll, FP Synch is the ticket. 24 million pixels with an AA filter (the D750 HAS an AA-filter array) in a compact, half-height camera sounds like a good deal for most people.

Only thing I can think of when flash sync speed is really an issue is when you want to overpower the daylight.

Then a Fuji X100 (or X100s or X100t) is in the huge advantage with flash syncs of up to 1/2000s.

Same lenses?

Yup.. Nikon 70-200 VR1 f/2.8.

IMHO.. the D7100 has a better AF system then the D600. I spent a lot of time debating getting a D600... but for what i shoot it didn't work out.

I'd say go with the new D750: better video features than anything else in its class. Articulating viewscreen on the back for video use. AUTO ISO for video. A good set of video controls and a new video menu that groups the video settings logically. THE NEW HIGHLIGHT WEIGHTED light metering that premiered in the D810. The BETTER and faster AF system that the D4s and D810 both use, with the full 51-point AF system, as well as face detecting AF (which can be turned off).................all in all a lot of new improvements that are otherwise ONLY available in the D4s or D810, and are found in no other Nikon. I do not see much need for anything faster than 1/4000 second. ANd people pissing and moaning about 1/200 X-synch? Utterly insane! 1/250 is the best available; and so the 1/200 X-synch issue is utter B.S.. Besides--if a person wants or needs faster shutter speed + flash,wellllllll, FP Synch is the ticket. 24 million pixels with an AA filter (the D750 HAS an AA-filter array) in a compact, half-height camera sounds like a good deal for most people.
People need to look into the pocket wizard TT5. and that will fix that 1/250 speed. and get you up to at least 1/1000 and possibly up to 1/8000.

So with looking at used and etc. it is better to go with the 600 or 800. and with only paying 400$ more for the 800, I will be pulling that trigger. Thanks for the help everyone, and I do believe the 600 would have be the best fit for me, but with just spending a little more I get something that will always keep me happy.

IMHO.. the D7100 has a better AF system then the D600. I spent a lot of time debating getting a D600... but for what i shoot it didn't work out.
I daresay that constitutes an obvious fact.

People need to look into the pocket wizard TT5. and that will fix that 1/250 speed. and get you up to at least 1/1000 and possibly up to 1/8000.
Only if the camera is already able to do so by itself. Sadly one cant teach HSS if it cant do it by itself, already.

And yes you can get up to ~1/30,000 sec actual shutter time with flash. For example if you use the SB900 at lowest power setting in total darkness. And you dont need the camera to be able to do anything for this, either, even an entry level DSLR would suffice. But thats not what you've been talking about, I think.

[...] with only paying 400$ more for the 800, I will be pulling that trigger. [...]
Congrats ! And have fun.

Only if the camera is already able to do so by itself. Sadly one cant teach HSS if it cant do it by itself, already.

And yes you can get up to ~1/30,000 sec actual shutter time with flash. For example if you use the SB900 at lowest power setting in total darkness. And you dont need the camera to be able to do anything for this, either, even an entry level DSLR would suffice. But thats not what you've been talking about, I

any speed light can make your camera go hss. And most camera settings allow you to go higher.

But when you do impact lights, they only go to 1/250th......... But when you put a pocket wizard tt5 you can go into the pocket wizard program to sync the flash at much faster speeds. The shower the flash duration on the light, the better the sync speed.

I got the D810 recently, and it meets all your criteria, for sure. It's excellent in low ligh, and the 36MPix, the native ISO 64, and flat profile are also great.

For your needs, I'd look first at the D8x0 family. Next at the brand new D750. Next on the DF. Next on the D610. In that order.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back