Looking to buy camera for disney trip - need help

Cyay918

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Im looking for suggestions on a camera for our family disney trip. Finding a camera that does well in the sunlight is pretty easy. However I also need one that will handle low light so I can take pictures of things like fireworks, decor inside of dim buildings, shows on a stage, even a few food shots if I felt like it =).

Another plus would be the ability to take fast action shots such as a roller coaster going by or actors on a stage performance.

I am NOT a professional. This camera will only be used for special occasions, vacations, and holidays so dropping 3 grand on a camera that weighs 10 pounds and needs 5 lenses just for that pourpose is a bit extreme.

Looking for suggestions from the experts here. Thank you for your advice and recommendations. I plan to do much more research after I get pointed in the right direction.

Having been to Disney many times, I can tell you light "IS ALWAYS BETTER". I have an older model of this that I still use when I need something small and light.
Canon SX730 HS Review: Preview

Looking for suggestions from the experts here.
Hello and welcome!

I'm not a professional, and not an "expert", but I'm a guy on the internet with an opinion.

Seriously consider a small, lightweight "travel" camera. Get the best one you can afford, and accept that it simply won't do everything, but it will do family snapshots very well. Lugging around a large, heavy apparatus will not guarantee "terrific" photographs any more than simply seeing a shot and being in the right place at the right time to grab it.

I've posted links before, and you can search the threads with keywords such as "travel" to find plenty of reading material.

Some links:

The best travel compact cameras in 2017 | TechRadar

How to Choose the Best Travel Camera - Ordinary Traveler

https://gearpatrol.com/2017/05/10/7-best-compact-travel-cameras/

Best travel camera 2017 - April update - MEL365 Travel & Photography

And so on....

So...I guess I'll chime in. I'm not a pro...just an enthusiast who honestly sometimes doesn't like carrying a camera around. .I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend the Olympus Tough TG-4 or something similar.
I too, have been to Disney many times. I've taken a DSLR with several lenses, I've taken a mirrorless camera with lenses. Each time, I encountered water...sort-of intentionally by taking it on rides. But I was very cautious about it, and still worried about damaging it.
There are many rides at Disney that involve water (Splash Mountain). Maybe you also want to take it to a water park? Snorkeling? I think it's intriguing that it has a lot of shooting features, good for travel, small/compact, and is waterproof for any action you might encounter.
It might be worth looking into.

Last edited:
I am going to give you different advise since 1. My wife is a Disney Freak and 2. we have been to both World and Land on many occasions. ( I prefer World to Land) Any decent pocket camera will do you just fine. Shell out for one of these and use it ever time you spot a photographer. You can't hardly spit without hitting one so you will come home with a truck load of photos. Then just enjoy the time there.

We took 11 people to Disney World 2 years ago for 8 days & seven nights. When we got home I downloaded almost 8,000 photos all from Disney. Well worth the money as every person on the pass was able to do the same.

Looking for suggestions from the experts here.
Hello and welcome!

I'm not a professional, and not an "expert", but I'm a guy on the internet with an opinion.

Seriously consider a small, lightweight "travel" camera. Get the best one you can afford, and accept that it simply won't do everything, but it will do family snapshots very well. Lugging around a large, heavy apparatus will not guarantee "terrific" photographs any more than simply seeing a shot and being in the right place at the right time to grab it.

I've posted links before, and you can search the threads with keywords such as "travel" to find plenty of reading material.

And so on....

I agree, traveling light and small is better for Disney
And if you want some Disney photo suggestions - Photography Board

How about $500? Here is one that will make images as good as the $3000 camera, has a sensor larger than point and shoot cameras and supports interchangeable lenses. And you can operate it as a point and shoot if you like. The included lens should handle your needs for Disney World. Click here.

iPhone 7S. Disney Pass shots for the tougher shots like fireworks.

So...I guess I'll chime in. I'm not a pro...just an enthusiast who honestly sometimes doesn't like carrying a camera around. .I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend the Olympus Tough TG-4 or something similar.
I too, have been to Disney many times. I've taken a DSLR with several lenses, I've taken a mirrorless camera with lenses. Each time, I encountered water...sort-of intentionally by taking it on rides. But I was very cautious about it, and still worried about damaging it.
There are many rides at Disney that involve water (Splash Mountain). Maybe you also want to take it to a water park? Snorkeling? I think it's intriguing that it has a lot of shooting features, good for travel, small/compact, and is waterproof for any action you might encounter.
It might be worth looking into.
When I went to Bali & Singapore on my last Vacation, I used a TG4 almost exclusively.
I did not find it lacking.
P4220334.jpg
P4210203.jpg
P4150895.jpg

Most reactions

Back