looking to sell

99csvtoledo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so im thinking bout trying to sell some of my photos. id go to a craft show and take some demo prints mated and framed and try to sell them. id have a catalog of aprox. 15-20 photos people can choose from. and id get their info and ship them the complete framed mated photo.

What is your price range and where are you going to sell them?

im not sure what the price range would beid charge cost of material and prolly 15-20% for myself i was trying to price out an 8-10 photo mated and framed and it was roughly $30. so i might charge 40-45 for an 8x10. of course teh price would change if they wanted a larger size.

and i would try and sell them at local craft shows. just set up a table with some demo prints and see if i get any bites. the worst that could happen is im out my $10 is buck for teh booth and i got some of my prints i can hang in my house

I know a few photographers who do this. There are plenty of factors that will dictate how successful you can be.

Firstly, I don't think it's a great idea to just have some demos and try to sell people a product that you will ship to them later. Remember that this is a craft show and you are asking them to give you money before you give them the product. That's a pretty big issue. I certainly wouldn't give money to someone in a booth...I may not ever see or hear from them again. It's different when you have an actual store.

You can still offer framed prints without having them there...but you are much more likely to sell a product that the customer can walk away with.

The biggest sellers are often 4x6 or postcard sized prints, 5x7 prints or 8x10 prints. They are often sold without a frame but with a matte.

A strategy that I like, is to have some large, well framed prints on display at your booth....something that will attract a lot of attention. You then have many copies of that photo in 8x10 for sale. People fall in love with the large print and then buy the 8x10. You can even put a price on the large print, several hundred dollars, so that people think they are getting a great deal when paying $40 for an 8x10 with matte. Who knows, you may even sell the large print, just don't take it down until the end of the show.

I seem to remember someone telling me that they would often make the most money by selling 4x6 postcards for $3 (2 for $5).

thanx ill keep that in mind. good advice

If you're considering doing this, you may want to pick up a mat cutting kit. They are pretty cheap and you can find some good deals on mat board that will end up saving you a lot of money instead of buying pre-cut mats at stores.

Most reactions

Back