Lost in EX/DG World!

Toffee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at replacing my Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX Macro 1:1 Lens which was nicked earlier this year :grumpy: I've seen that Sigma now do a DG (digital version) which is for both 35mm and DG...

I'm still with my 35mm EOS, but wouldn't rule out digital for the future. So I am wondering about this Sigma Macro 105mm F2.8 EX DG. The specifications seem the same, but as they are still selling the 35mm only version I'm wondering where I might lose out if I got the DG lens for my 35mm? Would I get the best results by staying with the 35mm version.

I've tried asking about this difference in several camera shops, but have only got blank looks or total gibberish!:confused: + :banghead: So any help is greatfully recieved! Thanks

As far as I'm aware a DG lens will only work on a digital SLR. You can fit it to your 35mm camera but it will only produce an image on the film that is equivalent to the size of a digital sensor, so the photo will be cropped.

Get the non DG version if you want to use the lens with film.

Thanks Ant! That's really helpful, I shall stick with the EX then!:thumbup:

DG means that the lens is optimized for digital slrs, but you can still use it on 35 mm slrs, DC lenses are the ones that only work with digital slrs.

If you are planning on getting a dslr in the future, get the DG lens.

el_shorty said:
DG means that the lens is optimized for digital slrs, but you can still use it on 35 mm slrs, DC lenses are the ones that only work with digital slrs.

If you are planning on getting a dslr in the future, get the DG lens.

I stand corrected. After checking on the Sigma website you're quite right. DC is exclusive to digital but DG can be used on both. My mistake.

Hi el_shorty, thanks for your reply! Hmmm, if it's optimised for a digital camera, I worry that I'd lose quality using it with 35mm. I want to get the best quality from my film camera/film as I'm sticking with it for the foreseeable future. If I lose nothing with a DG lens, then I'd get it because that would be advantageous IYSWIM.

Hiya, I'm still pondering the EX versus DG lens. Has anyone used a Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro lens on their 35mm camera? Where you happy with the results?

Thanks

Toffee said:
Hiya, I'm still pondering the EX versus DG lens. Has anyone used a Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro lens on their 35mm camera? Where you happy with the results?

Thanks

I'm presuming that was a typo, do you mean DC versus DG lenses?

Sigmas EX series of lenses are their top range lenses. The EX designation normally means that it's a pretty good lens.

I've no experience with that particular lens you mention but I do use a Sigma 50-500mm EX lens and I'm very happy with the quality.

The only real difference between the EX and EX DG lenses are the lens coatings. The DG lenses are supposed to reduce the amount of light reflected off the back of the lens back onto the sensor.

Should have absolutely no (adverse) effect on film. If you're staying with the same camera system and might go digital later I'd just get the DG lens now.

Most reactions

Back