luckydog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cracked-lenz.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Episode 1: The fellowship of the ring.

Why when Gandalf is leading the band of merry men across the mountain do they all struggle waist deep in snow while Legolas walks on top of it?? He may be an Elf and be fleet of foot but if anyone could walk on snow it should be the Hobbit's with their snowshoe sized feet.

Why????

P.S. I saw the LOTR exhibition in Singapore and totally enjoyed it, so if it heads your way pay a visit. I wanted to pinch the shards of Narsil and a model Gollum but they wouldn't fit in my pockets :(

I did actually know the answer to this. It was explained in the DVDs.
SOmething to do with him being magical and elvish.
Its the same thing with how Aragorn adn the rest look filthy and gross and he never has a hair out of place or a streak of dirt on his face.

He's an elf!

Wow, I wonder if that will come to Sydney anytime soon!!!

mmmm, because he was an Elf and didn't have to walk through the snow....the hobbits may have had the big feet, but they were also stout little creatures and probably would sink like a stone in water.

More to the point, in the company of Gandalf the Grey, who happened to be a wizard, why did he choose to keep his wizardry in check and MAKE them all walk? It has more to do with him wanting his band to have a physical appreciation of the hardships they were going to endure ahead of them, I'm thinking. Perhaps the Elf had a better appreciation of it and G left him alone. :?:

terri said:
More to the point, in the company of Gandalf the Grey, who happened to be a wizard, why did he choose to keep his wizardry in check and MAKE them all walk?
Because all magic has a cost, and the bigger the magic the bigger the cost. Plus it would draw Sauron's eye.

Legolas watched them for a while with a smile upon his lips, and then
he turned to the others. `The strongest must seek a way, say you? But I say:
let a ploughman plough, but choose an otter for swimming, and for running
light over grass and leaf or over snow-an Elf.'
With that he sprang forth nimbly, and then Frodo noticed as if for the
first time, though he had long known it, that the Elf had no boots, but wore
only light shoes, as he always did, and his feet made little imprint in the
snow.

Finally, a subject on this forum where I actually know what I'm talking about. :wink:

Mark: we basically said the same thing, honey. :wink:

BigMike: :LOL: You know more than you think you do.

terri said:
Mark: we basically said the same thing, honey.
I took "apreciation" to mean that Gandalf could easily have done it, but he wanted the others to build up some sort of moral fiber or something. I meant that using magic here would not have been worth the risks involved or the drain on Gandalf's resources, rather than it being a form of boot camp for the trials ahead.

In the book, Caradhras, the mountain itself, was preventing the fellowship from ascending it's face, not Saruman's interference. If I remember right, they wanted to see if they could get by without Caradhras getting too ornery, which meant being very unobtrusive. It didn't work, and by that point, using magic would have been extremely treacherous, considering the force of the storm and the power Caradhras could unleash.

markc said:
terri said:
Mark: we basically said the same thing, honey.
I took "apreciation" to mean that Gandalf could easily have done it, but he wanted the others to build up some sort of moral fiber or something. I meant that using magic here would not have been worth the risks involved or the drain on Gandalf's resources, rather than it being a form of boot camp for the trials ahead.

In the book, Caradhras, the mountain itself, was preventing the fellowship from ascending it's face, not Saruman's interference. If I remember right, they wanted to see if they could get by without Caradhras getting too ornery, which meant being very unobtrusive. It didn't work, and by that point, using magic would have been extremely treacherous, considering the force of the storm and the power Caradhras could unleash.

That's how I recall it....I didn't express it very well, but I meant they were going to have to do things withOUT the benefit of having the wizard at hand, ie, calling upon magic to transport them, or do anything that would make them visible or put them at risk....so yes, we were in essence saying the same thing. :p

Another point might be that Gandalf would or could not use his magic directly against Caradhras. Lets say he did use a magical fire to melt the snow and then it snowed harder. It would become an escalating battle between Gandalf and Caradhras (whom some consider to be an incarnate Maiar spirit).

Gandalf and the other Istari were forbidden from matching power with power in their endeavors. Saruman of course was corrupted and did not follow this rule.

`I do call it the wind,' said Aragorn. `But that does not make what you
say untrue. There are many evil and unfriendly things in the world that have
little love for those that go on two legs, and yet are not in league with
Sauron, but have purposes of their own. Some have been in this world longer
than he.'
'Caradhras was called the Cruel, and had an ill name, said Gimli, `long
years ago, when rumour of Sauron had not been heard in these lands.'

Then again...here is what Gandalf says...
`If Gandalf would go before us with a bright flame, he might melt a
path for you,' said Legolas. The storm had troubled him little, and he alone
of the Company remained still light of heart.
`If Elves could fly over mountains, they might fetch the Sun to save
us,' answered Gandalf. `But I must have something to work on. I cannot burn
snow.'

Big Mike said:
Another point might be that Gandalf would or could not use his magic directly against Caradhras. Lets say he did use a magical fire to melt the snow and then it snowed harder. It would become an escalating battle between Gandalf and Caradhras (whom some consider to be an incarnate Maiar spirit)
Then again...here is what Gandalf says...
`If Gandalf would go before us with a bright flame, he might melt a
path for you,' said Legolas. The storm had troubled him little, and he alone
of the Company remained still light of heart.
`If Elves could fly over mountains, they might fetch the Sun to save
us,' answered Gandalf. `But I must have something to work on. I cannot burn
snow.'
Thanks Mike. That's what I was trying to express.

I love in the film how McKelland says "We must take the pass of Caradhras."

OK, all youpointy eared fans...

Check this out. Ive been laughing for 2 days. On my forum, there are 3 of us that love LOTR. Its me, an american girly and one pommie boy. the american girly and i always swoon over legoals and girly made a comment to pommie boy about him being elf like and he replied
"I am no woodland elf!" I then made that his status and requested that he, being a guitarist and musician, make us a song called Im no woodland elf" as a joke.

The next day I returned to find that he had actually recorded us the song. Its too funny. If you're a fan, you should download it and listen. It doesnt take long.

Right click and save the "I need to get out more" link after you go to this page
http://www.lyptonvillage.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=373

Not bad, not bad at all. The guitar kind of overpowered the vocals but very well done none the less.

I didn't know Legolas "played for that team", "not that there's anything wrong with that" ;)

You should consider sending that link to www.theonering.net they would love that. Although the subsequent traffic might swamp your site for a while.

It really was well done. That guy just threw that together? Wow.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back