Lots of enlarger questions...

It's a good idea to get trays a bit larger than the pints you're going to be making. One size up is good; you get to maneuver the prints around a bit. You don't need too much extra room, though, or you wind up having to mix up way more chemistry than you actually need.

ashli said:
Can you reuse chemistry?

Yes, up to a point. Some people mix fresh every time they process, but this is a waste if you process daily. The instructions should tell you how much film or paper a given amount of chemical should be able to process, and how long it will last both in storage bottles and in open trays.

It's a good idea, if you save them for later reuse, to keep chemicals in opaque bottles in a cool, dry place. Also, developer in particular reacts with oxygen. If you leave it in a tray for a couple of days, it will become useless, even if you've never developed anything in it. Also, leaving any chemical in an open tray will change the concentration as the water in it evaporates. I accidentally left my trays for a week. The developer turned into a brown film in the bottom. The stop bath turned into a viscous scum, and the fixer turned into crystals that looked kind of like sugar or salt. It was a pain to clean up... so it's always a good idea to store the chemicals as soon as you're done with them if you're going to reuse them.

If your bottle of developer isn't full, the chemical will react with the air in the bottle and degrade. You can make it last a bit longer by filling the bottle with clean glass marbles until the liquid comes up to the top, then cap it tightly. That will keep the air inside to a minimum. I don't think this is a problem with stop or fixer.

If you use Indicator Stop Bath, it will change from bright yellow to purple when it's exhausted, telling you that you should mix fresh. It kinda looks like grape kool-aid.

So, yes, you can reuse chemicals, up to a point. If you process once a month, you may be better off tossing them after use; but if you process on a regular basis, it's probably worth keeping them around a while.

hello all,
i have always wonder, what does the enlarging lens aperture changes? except that you need 1 second instead of 2 when you stop, say at 5.6 instead of 8..
Has it got an effect on contrast or something?

.1. i use my b600 over any other enlarger sitting around or to which i have access. i have a nice lens on it, so in terms of quality, it out performs any other. i don't need the frills of a pulley system to raise and lower the head...that's why i have fingers.

.2. the tray about which you speak is indeed a filter tray. it sits just below the condensers. do you have a manual for the b600? if not, let me know...i have a digital manual i'll be happy to send to you.

.3. as mentioned above, kodak did make a paper for printing b/w from color negs. you can print them on traditional b/w paper, but the process of finding the right paper, neg, and filter combination is very tasking. the prints will come out very muddy.

.4. sure; just run a transparency through a printer. you will have to edit the contrast range of the image, though, as the density range of transparencies doesn't equate to a negative. you'll more than likely want to do this (as mentioned) as a contact print i.e. - make the transparency the size of the print that you desire.

metal trays - a very big no no. stick to plastic derivatives.

timer - can one be made? sure, with the correct diagram and construction using double pole double throw switchs and relays, but it's hardly worth the hassle and expense when you can get one for cow dung barter on ebay.

@Rolleistef - what changes is, in short, focus across the plane. disregard the numbers. open your aperture all the way, then close it down 2 stops. that is the optimal aperture opening for your lens. full open for focus, stop down twice for print. if you need longer exposure times, throw a neutral density filter in there...stopping down too far will cause edge blur or uneven exposure.

*edit - forgot one.

Can you reuse chemistry? what JamesD has stated holds true in general, although the specific chemicals that you use will have an impact on your reality. if you don't yet have chemicals and are looking for an inexpensive way to approach the issue, just ask. if you have chemicals, list them here and we can attach some guidelines for you.

Rolleistef said:
hello all,
i have always wonder, what does the enlarging lens aperture changes? except that you need 1 second instead of 2 when you stop, say at 5.6 instead of 8..
Has it got an effect on contrast or something?

Hi again Rolleistef.
[1] Stopping down has no effect on contrast unless you have a grotty lens with a bad spot or smudge on it.
[2] The basic principle I always use to to stop down is, I stop down until I have an exposure of about 10 seconds, this gives you adequate time [normally] to do any necessary dodging. If you work on this principle, you will get used to the amount of light you are seeing and give you a standard to work by. I do agree with "Motcon" as far as stopping down 2 stops sa as to use the lens at its optimum, but with a thin neg, your exosure would be too short making any dodging very tricky.
[3] I grew up on stainless steel developer trays, and like anything, you can get used to it, and their benefit is long life and easy to clean.
trust this helps. Philip.

Thanks to motcon, I now have the manual for my enlarger! :hail:

I have read that with the B600 I can do some color printing with 3" square acetate CP filters. Can anyone tell me more about this? Does it work? If it does, where I can get some..the cost of them...etc...

Thanks!

You guys have been so helpful!

yeah, you can print cp with the enlarger; the filters are a manually placed in the tray as opposed to the dial filtration system of 'color' enlargers.

true color printing is an entirely different process:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en/motion/support/h1/H1_57-62.pdf

http://www.optexint.com/sales/kodakgel.html

**edit - the filters can be used in the enlarger, but you will need a color head. even then, the going will not be easy.

it really is best to have color prints processed for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back