Low light, High ceiling, How to?

MPowerM3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I might be asked to shoot a college reading of the Vagina Monologues that my girl friend reguarly reads a part in each year. I know the lights will only be on the readers and not much else in the room they have (its like a lecture room with a balcony.

So, I have a Rebel Xt now. No flash, please suggest one (I was thinking 430ex Canon), and technique to gather good shoots (where to bounce, things like that, difffuser maybe and shoot straight on?).

Thank you for the help.

how high of ceiling? a fast lens and tripod might be a better idea.

Probably 25-30 ft, I have a tripod, and a 50mm 1.8 to compliment the 17-85mm "is" that I shoot with, is that good enough??

dont have any advice but I just say that with my girlfriend here in MD and it was damn good.

actually depending on how close you can get the 50 should work just fine with the lights on them, especially if you use a higher ISO.

Well if it was me.. I would most certainly use a TRIPOD and since they are reading.. they will be or should be .. very little movement..

50mm ? no way. get up in the balcony.. tripod.. NO FLASH.. that will anoy the audience and of course the readers..

think like a pro.. or.. start to.. ha ha.!! your other lens just might be strong enough to zoom in a bit. MAX is your only opton unless you can come up with a longer focal length.

so. your tipod is here.. your camera is on the tripod.. what exposure ?

1/15 @ F 8 ? I dunno.. that is your decision but whatever it is.. go for it..

as long as you don't go below 1/15 you should be great! Depth of field is impostant. but since your far enough away that should not be a problem.

I sure would like to see your results.. USE available light! 400 ISO

NOW YUR 1/30 or 1/60 sec.. F 8 ??? walk up before it starts and take the light reading before you climb up into the balcony.

now your not distractng anyone! and most important tip: learn how to cross your fingers! joking!

As well as annoying the audience . If it is strong enough, Flash will spoil any lighting effects that the stage crew have worked hard to set up, and make it look as though she is reading it in an office. It will also (if bounced) pick up the colour of the surface which it is bounced off. And if that is GREEN She won't thank you for it.... If not strong enough it will look washed out.... I don't know if you can attend a rehearsal and use some fill in..... But for my money. I would try as fast a lens at as wide an aperture as poss. (if you need to use a High ASA/ISO it wouldn't be too bad, as "Noise" gives it a trendy "reportage" style. Depends if that is what you want). And then work from there. If you start to use a shutter speed that is less than the reciprocal of the lens (ie 50mm lens at 1/50th sec. 100mm lens at 100th Sec), and even if you start to get quite close. You will need to support the camera. If you can't use a tripod (and you probably can't in those circumstances) then rest it on something to steady it. A balcony, A roof support pillar, a chair back. But NOT a jelly or a passing train ! ! ! ....

The 50mm f1.8 sounds ideal IF you can get close enough. If not the other lens will have to do, but you may not have a wide enough aperture. If you get the chance to "Case the Joint" before the big day.... Take it with both hands....

post the results will you I am interested.. (As are a few others I believe...)

Good luck.... And there is nothing wrong with crossing fingers... (It's just a little difficult to change lenses while you are doing it ! ! ! .....)

Thanks guys, thats great advice, I'll have to read it a few more times to get the whole concept, I will def post the results, this friday is a mock reading, so maybe i'll just actually have to go and "Case the Joint."

Groupcaptainbonzo Even if I get under 1/100 wont the image stabaliztion on the lens help me to about 1/30? I still will use the tripod as I have that too. I also have a 70-300mm for the balcony I can use if I need to, the only problem is that the large fstop 4.0+ is like my other lens and not very big. So maybe i'll try that!

Thanks again for everything!

Thanks guys, thats great advice, I'll have to read it a few more times to get the whole concept, I will def post the results, this friday is a mock reading, so maybe i'll just actually have to go and "Case the Joint."

Groupcaptainbonzo Even if I get under 1/100 wont the image stabaliztion on the lens help me to about 1/30? I still will use the tripod as I have that too. I also have a 70-300mm for the balcony I can use if I need to, the only problem is that the large fstop 4.0+ is like my other lens and not very big. So maybe i'll try that!

Thanks again for everything!

IS helps YOU shoot slower, but it wont stop the image from being blurry due to the reader moving around

Most reactions

New Topics

Back