LR web gallery question.

THORHAMMER

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
maybye someone can figure this out for me !!!

the only reason I dont use the lightroom web gallery thing is it only gives you the output pixels setting for both sides, ie.. 800pixels...

It doesnt allow you to constrain top and side.

for example, if I want to show verts at 600 pixels and horizontals at 800 how could I do it, the verts will all be too tall....

If they only had a "link to original file" option, I could export them first...

everything else works well, just that option is stopping me ......

My LR web module question has been up for three days with no replies. I wonder if very few are using it yet. You say everything else works fine...have you tried adding captions? This is what I can't do successfully.
Regarding your issue, I'm not sure I understand why you would want to constrain width and height differently. Setting, say 800x800, will mean that every 'portrait' shot will be 800 high but they might be different widths to each other...and every 'landscape' will be the same width even though they might be different heights. This way at least one dimension will be the same as all other photos in your gallery and it will give it a degree of symmetry. I would imagine that constraining, say 800x600, would lead to a hodge-podge of image sizes that would be less pleasing to view.
I know this doesn't answer your question, but hopefully gives some food for thought.
Mike

thanks for the repy, Ill try yours tonight when I get home,

The reason is that for posting in the forum I would like them to be 800 wide, but not 800 tall... 600 tall seems to be the limit where people can see them properly without having to scroll down..

So just 2 sizes thats all, no hogepodge...

and If I go and export them to the sizes I want, then the gallery
overrides it and blows them back up to 800 tall... even jalbum the free
gallery program has an option for link to originals...

even better would be the same option as in the export settings

that and the b&w mixing are my only comlpaints so far..

The reason is that for posting in the forum I would like them to be 800 wide, but not 800 tall... 600 tall seems to be the limit where people can see them properly without having to scroll down..
I can see that...I agree that 600 tall is better on most monitors. I hope someone steps in here with a solution for you.

im trying to use LR web as well. having some time to adjust though. can i upload right from LR? or do i need to have my own server or w/e it is, and how do i get a domain for my web gallery? and how do i choose which photos i want in the gallery? sorry for all the questions.

CBRfanatic.
I've not used LR much but...
1. I think you can upload directly from LR. I didn't though...I exported the file and used dreamweaver as this is what I use for my website.
2. You don't need your own server but you will need to find somewhere to host your website. A lot of ISPs offer webspace as part of the package.
3. If your ISP has given you some webspace you can use this for free but you are stuck with the domain name they give you. It is usually linked to your email address. For example, if you use btinternet as your ISP and your email address was CBRfanatic @ btinternet.com, your free domain would be www.CBRfanatic.users.btinternet.com. If you want your own domain, like CBRfanatic.com you would have to buy this for about £10 per year. Do a google search for 'domain names' and you'll find thousands of companies selling them. Once you've bought your domain name you can still use the free hosting offered by your ISP but you might need to pay a small fee for the privilege. Alternatively you can host your site with the same company that you bought the domain name from. You'll see that prices vary when you do your search for domain names and web hosting.
4. To decide which photos will appear on the website you'll need to select them in library view and make them into a 'collection'. This collection is then the group of photos that will become your web gallery.
5. Sounds like you need to get yourself a LR book. I got 'the adobe photoshop lightroom book - the complete guide for photographers, by Martin Evening. It's a good reference to have next to the PC.

Hope this helps
Mike

thanks for trying to help !!

also, to awnser fanatics wuestion, look at flickr.com

it may be what your wanting, or smugmug, you can sell prints off smugmug if you so desire, but a full blown domain is quite a commitment to make it look right, although go daddy has site builders for cheap !!!

just some options to look at..

Most reactions

Back