LR2 Users

tenlientl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I've been googling for a site that tells what LR2 functions do.

Like what is difference of Fill Light and Brightness. I know Fill Light brightens dark parts, while Brightness brightens the whole image.

I know what Clarity does, but I don't really know what it's for. Know what I mean?

What about Recovery?

Is there any place that explains Hue, Saturation, Luminance, etc? This would be great for people like me.

The best advice I can give is to simply download the free 30 day trail, import some images and play with the sliders. Until you really move them back and forth and in different combinations, it's hard to truly understand how each adjustment or set of adjustments will impact various types or styles of photos.

It's free - just do it :)

I have it. I just think it'll be easier if I knew exactly what it does.

When A photo is too dark, I dont know if I should change the exposure, brightness, or fill light.

Or use Tone Curves, etc. I guess its all preference, but I'm sure knowing what they really do should provide me a good guildline.

Its really a combination of all setting to attain the look you want, I usually start at the top and work my way down. To dark? up the exposure, balance it with brightness, and maybe even bring in some shadows with the fill light or the shadows dialog. You've just got to experiment with pictures and get your work flow down pat.

For exposure, recovery, fill, and blacks as you roll over the slider bars the section of the histogram you are most effecting is slightly highlighted.

Brightness effects the midtones the most. It's a lot like grabbing the middle of the curve, and raising it.

Clarity is like a low percentage/high radius unsharp mask with the shadows and highlights masked out. It increases midtone contrast and detail.

Saturation is how pure the colors are. Using the slider the saturation of all colors is effected.

Vibrance is like saturation, but only effects some of the colors. It's supposed to avoid saturation clipping and messing with skintones.

When A photo is too dark, I dont know if I should change the exposure, brightness, or fill light.

All will lighten the photo in different ways; it's just going to depend on the photo. Increasing exposure will brighten a wide range of midtones, and if you push it far enough the highlights. Fill light will brighten a narrow range of darker grays, while mostly leaving brighter tones alone. Brightness works most on the midtones, but does cover a wide range of tones, and tries to avoid messing with the highlights too much.

Last edited:
i dont see why you think its easier to have someone explain it... maybe its a personal learning style.. i'm hands on kinda guy i guess. when i first got it, i just imported some images and played around... the bonus with LR is the edits dont change the orignal image.. so if you screw up a picture, the orginal is still there to work with

I just started using LR2 a couple of weeks ago, although I have been using Bridge and Camera Raw for quite some time now. I got a copy of Scott Kelby's now LR2 book and have found that to be an excellent guide. There are so many neat little features to the program that it would take you a long time to find them on your own. Kelby also does a good job of showing you when to use what slider to get the result you want.

I just started using LR2 a couple of weeks ago, although I have been using Bridge and Camera Raw for quite some time now. I got a copy of Scott Kelby's now LR2 book and have found that to be an excellent guide. There are so many neat little features to the program that it would take you a long time to find them on your own. Kelby also does a good job of showing you when to use what slider to get the result you want.

very true... LR is FULL of features, beyond the few in the devloping.. theres piles of stuff, especially if you do portrait sittings and are needing to do proofs and stuff like that..

*** googles the book mentioned above.. I love learning more stuff!

Sample from book mentioned above
http://www.photoshopsupport.com/photoshop-blog/06/05/23-seidshido-brushes.html#book

Most reactions

New Topics

Back