Lumix GF1 and Canon 40D, caught between them

zoom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know range of these cameras are completely different. However still I can't make a decision.
Canon is a heavy one, more complicated and professional. On the other hand GF1 is more suitable to carry all around you and get good quality of photos.

Now if I choose the GF1, what do I miss and if I choose Canon what do I get as extra ?
In other words what can't GF1 do while 40D can do ?

The Panasonic uses a Micro Four Thirds sensor and so it is smaller than the Canon APS-H sensor... something that may matter if you crop a lot or want larger prints, although it is definitely a step ahead of most P&S cameras... The GF-1 is really targeted at the Olympus PEN cameras and not directly at the DSLR's of today.

You also will need lenses that may not be compatible with any other camera where-as the Canon series of EF lenses will be compatible with almost any other Canon DSLR if you desire to move up, although it will also use Canon's compact EF-S lenses..

It's a personal decision on where you want to take your photography and the equipment that you want to use..

I use a Panasonic G1 but would not even consider the GF1 without a viewfinder. The rush to minimalism in camera size with m4/3 format is in my mind just plane silly for a camera with interchangeable lenses. Cripes, most of the lenses I use would dwarf the body of a GF1. I say buy a P&S if you want that size camera.

I've looked at a few of your other posts and you seem to be all over the place in what kind of camera and lens you should get, even looking at an old film camera as a possibility.
It may depend a bit on what you plan on shooting between the GF1 and 40D. The GF1 has a smaller sensor size than the 40D. If you are looking to shoot people type portraits in the future the 40D's larger sensor would enable you to achieve background blur (narrow DOF-Depth of Field) easier to make for a more professional looking image. Other than the ability to attain the background blur either camera would be capable of good quality images. The Canon may have more lens variety and accessories available than the GF1 so that may be something to consider. If you ever think you may have ambitions to shoot professionally or as a serious hobbiest, the Canon may be a better choice.
If you're just beginning in photography and this will be your first camera, even the current Canon Rebel DSLR's with the kit lens make for a good way to start out.

The GF-1 is really targeted at the Olympus PEN cameras and not directly at the DSLR's of today.
Agreed, it even looks very much like the PEN-1.

To the OP:
I remember being similarly confused just a few months ago. I could have easily opted for the Panasonic G1 and was tempted with the PEN too. They would have both been more capable than what I had.

The big drawback for me was value for money. I could have a DSLR for less and it would be even more capable. The downsides for DSLRs were portability (but then I already had a Canon IXUS if I needed something to slip into a pocket) and a steep learning curve; the Panasonic seemed more beginner-friendly.

I'd go back where you were in this thread http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...allery/204809-450-good-lens-50d-kit-lens.html and make your choice between the 450D (XSi), 500D (T1i), 40D and 50D, assuming you want to stick with Canon; and you should - at least you made one decision, don't look back ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back