Macro as normal

Dušan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can I use Nikkor 40mm F2.8G Macro as normal, everyday lens ?

Yes. And in fact, that might be one of the best ways to view that lens: not as a macro-subject lens, but instead as a lens of normal angle of view that just happens to focus very close. Have you read the Ken Rockwell review of the 40/2.8?

I have used the older 45mm f/2.8 P-Nikkor manual focus lens as my "normal" lens, off and on for almost 10 years now...it's an interesting prime lens zone...not a 35mm lens, not a 50mm lens...but in-between.

Years ago, at one time I owned only a 35mm SLR and a 58mm f/2 manual focus lens, so the angle of view was about the same as the 40mm will be on an APS-C body; the difference might not seem like much to some people, but the 58mm or 60mm Micro-Nikkor on a FF field of view is really a great, selective angle of view...it doesn't seem like it would be much different, but those extra 8 to 10mm longer, from the 50mm point of view, means that it's easier to selectively show "things" in the world. The angle of view of the 40mm lens will make a very handy everyday lens!

I think one of the stronger areas for the 40-on-APS-C or the 58 or 60mm on FX is in environmental portraiture/documentary/scenic pghotography, where you want to show a person, or a "thing" of some type, or a location, with both a little bit of background or environment, but also in a somewhat semi-selective way.

Again...it's hard to put into words, but the little bit narrower angle of view we're talking about is in-between telephoto and the semi-wide-angle, and it just....works! For many subjects and many situations where you do not want that narrow, selective telephoto look, but you also do not want that small-background-everything-far-away look of a wide-angle lens length.

Absolutely, you can use it as an every day lens. It was my favorite lens on my DX. It's very light and just super easy. It gets sharp macro shots too, but it's better for plants and flowers because you have to get pretty close. Too close for most insects.

Most reactions

Back