Macro filters and an 18-70lens

photong

Typo Queen
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was thinking of buying macro filters for my D70s' 18-70mm lens.

First, for my AE1 (i.e. 50mm lens) I know that a +1, +2 and +4 would be good enough for what I want.

But would it be enough for the 18-70mm lens on the D70?

I was wondering if I should consider getting the +10. Which would drive up the amount to spend and I would rather not spend it unless I had to.

How much of a difference there will be between these two lenses using those filters?

Somehow I don't believe NO ONE has an answer for this.

For what it's worth, I went to Wolf Camera yesterday and got the 3-ring macro set, which consisted of +1, +2, and +4. I also got my fisheye lens with the included macro lens. Here are some pics with my 55mm.

Also, got some macro rings from Wolf Camera today.

Regular 55mm
dsc0300qe8.jpg

Macro @ 55mm
dsc0311xf5.jpg

The lens is almost on top of the flower.

The close up filter set (+1 +2 +4) should work just fine with that lens. you might even get better magnification that with your 50mm on the AE-1.

I shoot with Diopters on my 18-70 Kit Lens on my Minolta 5D ...I think it really boils down to the brand you are using. It seems some Diopters are pretty cheaply made while others are high quality. I use Tiffen and have been VERY happy with my shots. They are really incredible and a lotta fun to use. The below shots were on stacked +2 and +4

atouchofcinnamonbykkartyn9.jpg

rebirthbykkartjw6.jpg

By looking at the photos, it appears to me that the diopter lenses generate a very shallow DOF and that the image is lacking clarity. I also feel some hints of chromatic abberation.

Is this a side-effect of the closeup lens attachment?

I am asking because I've already ordered my first set of such closeup lenses for some $15 just in case this can save me spending $500 for a "proper" macro lens.

Finally, it is mentioned that the lens was actually on top of the flower for the close-up shot. Is the focusing distance so much reduced with these lenses?

I am a firm believer in macro extension rings. They have no bearing on the quailty of the shot. They can even be home made if you have the ability. Since there is no glass added there are no artifacts or distortions added to the picture.
I bought my wife a used set of Kenko extension tubes and they work perfectally. You start adding glass or elements to a lens and you will start to get distortions and what not (there are some very good ones, but you have to pay $$$ for them). A new set of extension rings can be bought new for about $150 I believe. And they will work with any lens in that mount. Not just a certain filter ring size! Again making them more usefull.

So this thread isn't about "macro filters" at all! I was wondering about what those could be. Seems the OP meant macro extension tubes. Not 'filters'.
Glad that riddle is solved! :confused:

Most reactions

Back