Macro Filters?

Azuth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been looking at various Macro lenses, but really only to play with since most of my photography is portraiture. Ebay has a set of screw on 55mm filters for close up work that appear (from their samples) to give reasonable results.

Given these are only $40-50 (Australian) and I'm not looking to do anything too demanding in the marco world;
- Do people think these are an OK buy?
- Has anyone here used them?
- If possible can someone post a sample so I have something a little more impartial to look at.

Thanks

Close up filters work fairly well. I think a better option is extension tubes. What camera and lens combo are you planning on using?

If you buy a set of extension tubes (a common set will give you 65mm) and use them with your 50mm, you'll get better than 1:1 magnification. The results are incredible, but difficult to use for moving objects. You lose a stop of light, and in order to get enough depth of field, you need to stop down to at least f/8, if not f16 or f22.

It's fun, and still relatively cheap.

I bought some macro lenses off Ebay last week to fit a 55mm thread on my dynax. I had a quick go of the lenses and got them printed. When I say quick go, i didnt use a tripod or bothered about the lighting, I just wanted to see " how close " they got. There were in total 4 lenses in a protective pouch. I was mainly using the x10 lens. Once ive figured out how to post a sample i will do it some time today. Or post a link.
This was what I got and I think the sample pics have appeared in a few other auctions aswell http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30070&item=7569037493

BTW no, I am not connected to the seller in any way, just a past customer.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks very much for that Revel, much appreciated. Can I ask what main lense you were using?

Just my bog standard, came with the camera, 25-100mm lens. Hope this helps.

In experimenting have you tried reversing a lens and holding it against the camera. It produces very close up shots. You can buy reversing rings for actual mount up if you like. Best is a non-zoom lens. I have a 50mm reversed on a bellows to get all the macro I need, the 50mm is handy on the fly to just hold and get a photo of a bug or something. Move in and out to focus.

I'm currently trying close-up work with a combination of 2x teleconverter, 50mm lens and +2 close-up filter... although I dread to think of how much detail I'm losing there... reversing the lens is probably the best (and cheapest!) way to start.

skiboarder72 said:
any experiance with these filters?

http://www.adorama.com/MCCUS58.html

what do the +1, +2, and +4's refer to? do these mean i can focus twice and four times as close?

Yes it does, but if there like mine, you can add them together so you could have a +7. I got a +10 aswell with my set, but to be honest, there dosnt seem to be much difference if I put them all together.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back