macro lens or close up kit

Ok, can you still get decent pics with them? Im just starting macro and im looking for a cheaper way to get started. I was thinking a Hoya kit with +1 +2 and +4. Would these be used on a standard lens? Can they all be stacked to get closer images?

Ok, can you still get decent pics with them? Im just starting macro and im looking for a cheaper way to get started. I was thinking a Hoya kit with +1 +2 and +4. Would these be used on a standard lens?
That depends on your definition of 'decent'. :roll: :lol:

Actually, you can get pretty good results with them. In fact, I have that same set of Hoya filters/lenses. Not as good as a macro lens but for the money, they are fun to play with.

Can they all be stacked to get closer images?
They most certainly can be stacked, I've done it plenty of times.

The Macro lens is the best. If it wasn't it wouldn't be the most expensive.... But there are other ways. Extension tubes are good especially when used with a reversing ring. And Close up filters are a limited but cheap way of finding out if you like the genre.. You can get some reasonable results with them . But in the end if you want top results you have to part with the money.
Luckily Sigma do a whole series of very good very cheap lenses that produce fabulous results.

I would suggest filters first unless you have the spare capital lying around to see if you really like the macro photography. I love it and bit the bullet on a 105mm Macro lens. It's significantly better than the filter but significantly more expensive too. Definitely something to look into if you want to take it a step further, but probably not something to buy if you're going through a macro fad, or just want to get a little bit closer.

JUNGLEGUTS You have an X-700. Great cameras. I used to use them. In fact one is still my IR shoot camera of choice , with a 24mm lens.
All my film based macro kit went to America courtisy of EBAY and they were kind enough to say how happy they were with it. But I assume that you have a "Nifty fifty" with the X-700. Maybe a Rokkor 1.4 with any luck. If so just buy a reversing ring. Dirt cheap but pretty much as good as a Macro lens, also 1:1 is not out of the question either. You will have to shoot manual , but then with Macro you usually do anyway. And make sure you have some good light handy.
Because you refer to it as an X-700 I am assuming that you are here in the U.K.. So a trip to the nearest branch(s) of Jessops, Jacobs or London Camera Exchange should allow you to pick the brains of an assistant or two..

Good point about a fad. I'm wondering if my interest is a fad also, so I looked into cheaper alternatives until I see if the interest holds. I bought a 50mm f1.8 manual lens and a reversing mount ring and also a macro coupler ring.

I put the 50mm in reverse on the camera for 1:1 ratio using the reversing ring and I mount it in reverse to the front of my 24-120 lens for ~4:1 ratio using the macro coupler. I've been having fun with 1:1 ratio and no luck with 4:1. It's been fun, and I've learned a lot, but it's been hard getting good pics.

Trying out these cheap methods has really helped me understand the basic concepts so I know what higher quality macro lens I will purchase in the future if I decide to stick with it.

Plonsky's website on using cheaper alternatives has always intrigued me.
http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/article.htm

Just wanted to mention that nothing in photography should be a fad... When you want a macro shot, you want a macro shot...If a particular piece should be in IR, then make it happen... The idea is to pursue good images.. Sometimes they find you, sometimes you search them out, but the plan is to be able to create when the inspiration hits... I know sometimes we can't spend the money on that sweet macro lens, etc... But I'm suggesting that photography shouldn't really include fads... Make images and keep pushing on... Self-righteous interpretation of the craft... Good luck.. -Brett

This is my high-tech macro set-up ;D

DSC00021.jpg

What we have here is:
-The camera body
-Extension tubes, here they are all stacked, 10mm, 20mm and 30mm.
-3x converter, which isn't needed, but it gives me the extra distance so I'm not centimeters away from the subject (probably degrades the image quality significantly)
-I believe that is a 28mm lens, but I also you my 44mm. Both are manual lenses with aperture control on the actual lens, essential with manual extension tubes.
-Off-camera flash. I use this flash because it's actually not overlly powerful and can be used relitavly close the subject and retain lower apertures for D.O.F.

The flash is taped because I found that the most ideal place for it and it was quite difficult to hold the flash in that position and have a steady hand.
Ideally I would use a ring flash or a flash that mounts to the end of the lens.

You can see examples of my macro work on my website gallery in the macro/misc section.
http://www.ummonshadow.com

Just wanted to mention that nothing in photography should be a fad...

It shouldn't. But I have seen enough people buy macro lenses and then leave them in the covered to grow mould simply because they don't like the art of macro. Sure when you want a macro shot then you should get a macro shot. But does that mean you need to buy a macro lens just for taking 1 shot and then realising hey actually I'd rather go back to landscapes and waterfalls.

Just a thought, nothing should ever be a fad.

Oh except ripped jeans, common people it looks like you bought them second hand.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back