JenLavazza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenlavazza.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
Can anyone suggest a nice macro lens to use with my Nikon D700? I'd be using it to mainly to photograph up close details of babies....eyelashes, ears, lips, etc.... Something not too pricey. I'm willing to try Tamron or other non-Nikon brands.
Thanks!
Jen

I don't know what "Not too pricey" means to you, but if you've sepnt the money for a D700, then you don't want (IMO) a lens that won't do the camera justice. I would look for a used 105mm 2.8 D - they generally go for between $4-500 and are outstanding performers. The 60mm 2.8 D is opically just as good, and can be had fof $300 on the used market, but requires you to get somewhat closer, perhaps not ideal for infant photography.

Tamron's 90mm f/2.8 has a cult-like following,and is optically excellent. Tokina's 100mm f/2.8 AT-X is also excellent. Both have color rendering that's reasonably close to Nikkors.
I would stay away from Sigma due only to its warmer-than-Nikon color rendering.

Hmmm....Okay so , 90mm or 100mm??? I'm looking to purchase one right now....and the 100mm that's been back ordered forever is finally in stock!!

Do you mean the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X Macro? It has received some pretty good reviews. The Tamron 90mm is legendary as a great 3rd party macro lens. You could consult some on-line review sites,and see what they say about the lenses you are considering. Keep in mind, macro lenses are one of the categories where the 3rd party manufacturers (Zeiss,which is built by Cosina, Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina,specifically) produce lenses that are very close to, or higher than, the optical quality of the Canon and Nikon macro lenses. It's kind of hard to go wrong with a decent, 3rd-party macro lens in Nikon mount, from any of the manufacturers I listed.

Oh yay, you are on-line Derrel...I was going to message you. Someone is selling a Tamron 28-75/2.8 Macro.... What do you think of that? Seems all of them have good reviews and are close in price.

The zoom lenses with "macro" in their name are not true macro lenses but rather close focusing zoom lenses - its a marketing move and it does cause confusion. I don't know the specific magnification that that lens can achive, but it won't be more than around 1:2 which would get you something a little like this:
3234437107_a55a82b066_z.jpg

Which for what you say is your intended use (babies facial details) might be all that you need to work with. However if you want to get closer still and into the true macro area of 1:1 then you will need to stick to the prime macro lenses.

Oh yay, you are on-line Derrel...I was going to message you. Someone is selling a Tamron 28-75/2.8 Macro.... What do you think of that? Seems all of them have good reviews and are close in price.

As overread said, the Tamron 28-75 is not really a macro lens, but a wide to short telephoto zoom lens. It's a high-quality 3rd party zoom,and it will cover FX digital on your D700.

It's very popular...Pentax and Sony have both contracted with Tamron to have the design built in their own, brand-specific rubber zoom and focusing ring patterns and design...the 28-75 is one of Tamron's modern mega-hit zooms.

Tamron 28-75/2.8 – Small, light, high quality standard zoom lens - Digital-Photo-Hobby.com

Most reactions

Back