Macro lenses

HoboSyke

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone. Just want to expand my knowledge of macro lenses which really isnt much hehe. I have never owned one but have had macro abilitys on my old sony camera. Can someone give me a run down on the canon macro lens range. Its for my 20D. Thanks for reading. :wink:

I don't know what lenses are available, but I know that all of the manufacturers play fast and loose with the term macro, and put it on the box of many lenses that aren't macro lenses at all, so trust the lens specs, not the lens box label.

A true macro lens will make a 1:1 reproduction without any add-ons neccessary. This means if you photograph a coin, the coin will be life size on the neg or sensor.

You can make "super-macro" lenses if you have 2 ordinary lenses. Simply take one of the lenses and hold it backwards onto the lens mounted on the camera. (you can use tape or use an adapter so that you don't have to hold it there) The result is a macro lens that is almost like a microscope, quite fun to play with. The only downfall (if you consider it a downfall) is that the depth of field is only a couple millimeters think.

Canon makes 4 true macro lenses. EF-S 60mm f/2.8 compact macro, 65mm super macro (greater than 1:1) 100mm Macro, and 180mm Macro.

The 50mm f/2.8 compact macro only gets half life size, without an adapter.

Go to www.fredmiranda.com for reviews.

Most reactions

Back