macro

lostinoside

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i'm looking to buy a macro lense.

i'm currently shooting with a rebel xt

i would love to get a 100mm lense but i'm not really big on how much they cost.

is there a way i can achieve a 100mm macro shot without spend a buttload of money???

also, i would just like opinions on experiences with different macro lenses

i'm not very knowledged about different lenses and the technical info, so if there is anyone that is and can convert it into everyday language, please share

thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum.

A lot of lenses say "macro" on them...but they are not true macro lenses. A true macro lens will give you a 1:1 reproduction ratio...that is the size of the object on the film/sensor is true size.

The best way is with a true macro lens. Canon makes a 100mm, a 50mm, a 180mm (I think) and a special super macro. I think there is also an EF-S 60mm macro lens as well. They are all pretty expensive though...maybe check the price of the EF-S.

Alternatively, you can use other things to get close up shots. Extension tubes go behind the lens and allow you to focus closer. Diopter filters screw to the front of a lens like a magnifying glass. The difference between the two is that the tubes do not introduce any other glass for the light to go through...therefore do not degrade image quality. The close-up filters will tend to degrade the image...more or less, depending on the quality.

You could even reverse one lens onto another. You can buy macro couplers which are rings with two sets of threads for attaching two lenses.

pretty sure canon do a lens reversal adapter, (they did with film cams) but then you need to consider lighting as for best exposure, depending on magnification, you will need more light. Correct exposure can be determined using the formula, "magnification + 1 squared"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back