Make a wish.... Give feedback

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this low light shot at my daughter's 3rd birthday.. I'm pretty happy with it. Please grade it:

10_14_2009_2911.jpg

candles-1.jpg

Technically undexposed, but if you're happy with it, then you're happy with it.

I look at the action captured over the exposure.. I caught the candles being blown out, some already out and smoking, and some blowing in the breeze ready to go out. I think the moment is good, which is what I like to capture with pictures.

Nice capture! Have you thought about bouncing your SB600?

Nice capture! Have you thought about bouncing your SB600?

Thank you, and I've thought about it.. Doesn't anyone ever think that the dim lights capture the mood? I don't know if my family is weird, but we generally turn out the lights for the cake and HB singing... A bright shot wouldn't be accurate. I thought =I had done a swell thing by turning up the ISO and changing the WB and capturing this shot, but everyone seems to want it brighter.

if the subject is the cake, and not the girl, its great.. the girl is out of focus.. it could be my tired eyes, but i dont think so..

as an aside... your family is NOT weird, we do the lights out too, however, with the proper settings, even though shes young (only a few candles) you can get some great lighting for pics like these (heres an example http://www.istockphoto.com/file_clo...186231-blowing-out-the-candles.php?id=1186231)

i'm very much a fan of darker, neatly shadowed photos (achieved by bouncing flash most of the time for me.. that and my umbrellas play a big role)

Chris, even after our rocky introduction, I've grown to like you.. . Thanks for your feedback.. I truly consider these forums a community of sorts, because you're sharing photos of your family and your personal life, etc.. You grow to know each other, and I thank you for your time and critique.

About the pictue-I think that my daughter being in the background out of focus makes the picture that much more profound.. I love it... The focus is on the cake with her waiting in the wings..

Last edited:
Chris, even after our rocky introduction, I've grown to like you.. . Thanks for your feedback.. I truly consider these forums a community of sorts, because you're sharing photos of your family and your personal life, etc.. You grow to know each other, and I think you for your time and critique.

i was actually JUST thinking the exact same thing about you, and was just about to post you a PM about it.. but since its been stated here, i wont bother.

I like it and I understand the look you were going for... What exposure factors did you use? If there wasn't noise on the cake in the first one it'd be nicer... Do you think the noise was from using too high of an ISO for the dark situation or something else? How could you have obtained the dark images and not had noise on the subject... the cake?

I ask the questions because I hate noise in my own images and want others opinions about the subject since it's in your pictures as well...

I like it and I understand the look you were going for... What exposure factors did you use? If there wasn't noise on the cake in the first one it'd be nicer... Do you think the noise was from using too high of an ISO for the dark situation or something else? How could you have obtained the dark images and not had noise on the subject... the cake?

I ask the questions because I hate noise in my own images and want others opinions about the subject since it's in your pictures as well...

I really don't know the settings.. I'd have to look at the exif... But for the record, the second picture is just a crop of the first pic....

Most reactions

Back