Make tripod head move smoother

davholla

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Manfrotto MK294A3-D3RC2 294 Aluminium Tripod Kit with 3 Way QR Head and the head does not move that smoothly.
This thread How to make my ball head smoother? suggests the way to fix it, is to take it apart and then clean it and put a bit off T-9 BoeShield grease (hopefully I can find the UK equivalent) on it
a) what do people think?
b) Any ideas what the UK equivalent is?

A ball head is very different to a 3 way head, but lubricating it should make it move smoother - as long as it can still lock in place properly!

I doubt the exact grade of grease will make much difference. I'd be inclined to start with a silicon based polish if the original is free from any grease, and then try a tiny amount of graphite (from a pencil lead) as a next step.

In any event the very minimum of lubricant is enough - it's very easy to overdo these things & sometimes that can make the joints drag MORE.

Boeshield is not a grease. It's basically a solvent based wax. Solvents in it help clean and fight corrosion. But it basically works by leaving a cured wax film on what you applied it to after the solvents evaporate away (dries). You don't want grease on objects that clamp by friction. Which is what tripod heads do.

Most reactions

Back