making it sepia

Rob A

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
hey guys, this mite seem a stupid question, but i was wandering how coulld i make things sepia? i have no idea! thanks for any help!!

Hue/Sat adjusment layer, click colorize, put the hue around 40 (give or take a few), and the sat around 20 (give or take).

Digital Matt said:
Hue/Sat adjusment layer, click colorize, put the hue around 40 (give or take a few), and the sat around 20 (give or take).

That's right about where I set mine, I love the look/color it gives.

Arty, just grab a paint brush, preferably a unique one, and paint your scratches on duplicate of your original layer. Fade the opacity. Or just make a print and step on it a few dozen times, then scan it back in :p

Digital Matt said:
Or just make a print and step on it a few dozen times, then scan it back in :p

Some of the things we do for our art...

Don't forget to set a coffee mug on it to get the circular coffee stain.

Wow that doesn't work for me at all, even if I mess w/ it. Mine come out green. lol. I'll have to spend more time playing w/ it. What does the hue do exactly anyway? I can see the color dial changing but can't figure out what it's doing.

The original instructions given said to use a hue/sat adjustment layer, but the only place I have an option to click "colorize" is by using the hue/sat option under image>adjustments.

Perhaps Jess has encountered the same obstacle with the adjustment layer, and needs to use the image>adjustments>hue/saturation dialog box (Ctrl/Cmd+U).

First of all, what version(s) of photoshop are you all using? I'm using 7.0, and the same instructions will work for 6 I believe, and also for CS for sure.

There is a colorize box no matter how you get to hue/sat. Older versions of PS don't have adjustment layers, so your only option would be ctrl-U, or image/adjustments/hue-sat. The adjustment layer is exactly the same as going through the menu, only it creates the effect on its' own layer, so it can be edited repeatedly.

I am using 7.0 as well.
If I use Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Hue/Sat, I don't get a little box to click for "colorize." I can only find that little box in Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation.
I was just offering an observation that might help those who cannot seem to make it work in a new adjustment layer. That's all.

~Audrey

I have 7.0, and colorize is always there. I can't understand why you aren't seeing it.

hue_sat.gif

I always start my adjusment layers from the little button on the layers pallete, but regardless of how I start one, colorize is always there.

:confused:

Damn, that's beautiful. I missed the colorize step. I apologize for not following the directions properly. That's really great. I have to find somewhere to make a note of that. Thanx so much. :D

BTW I run on PSP, still has the colorize option. I've found I can follow any PS tutorial. It's funny cause I originally went w/ PSP because it was more intuitive and I couldn't figure out PS, but now that I'm around so many ppl w/ PS and I can follow the same directions in my program, I wonder if I wasn't mistaken. My version of PS is ancient but maybe I should re-instal and take a look at it again.

And just for fun, here's that toolbox in PSP, note the color wheel... in case that comment above confused anyone :) They're the same, just arranged differently.

huesatpsp.jpg

That's crazy, DM.
Oh, well...at least we've all got it figured out.
And it's a beautiful way to sepia tone a pic, not to mention WAY easier than what I was trying before.
Thanks for the great tip.

~Audrey

Edit: When I open the adjustment layer with the button on the layers palette, I get the dialog box w/ the colorize option. I just don't get it when I do it the long way w/ Layers menu up top. Weird, huh? Again, great tip.

Most reactions

Back