Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
upload_2016-2-3_10-43-34.png

I just tried walking around the house slowly (alarming my wife who wondered if I had completey disconnected from my senses) and it seemed that as I lifted one leg for a step, I swayed to the opposite side to balance, so my body wasn't vertical but tilted to the side of the planted foot.

The photographer in this case may have pleaded that he was only following orders when accused of breaking the 'you shall shoot aligned shots rule'.

And in doing so the horizontal base of the photograph is no longer horizontal.

And in doing so the horizontal base of the photograph is no longer horizontal.
When we try to straighten a photo, it is important that we select something that we have a high degree of confidence that something is either vertical or horizontal.

For instance; I would not use a power pole or the ground, because frankly, they are often not vertical or horizontal.

We know that the Eiffel Tower is vertical, and people "sway" when they walk. Trees often grow fairly vertical, and if that is the only thing to use, then we can use it. In the other thread, there is a building in the background, although the edge is very blurry, so it would be hard to line it up accurately. Getting the tree to look "normal" is probably the best way to straighten it.

It looks like it was the perspective and/or angle of shooting. Look at leg of the tower to the right (side of the photo), you can see the inside edge of that leg. So the photo wasn't taken facing the tower straight on. The photographer would have been somewhat to the left. It could also have been partly the perspective of the tower going up into the sky from that vantage point below; you can see the bottom edge of the platform midway up.

The front line of marchers may not have been in a straight horizontal line. Especially seeing who one of the subjects appears to be it's conceivable that the other walkers to the left may have been a half step or so behind.

Err... Roughly the same photo (bar a little distortion that's easily explained) with a vertical red line in different places? In one it's to the right of the tower in the other it's on the centre of the tower. I'm not sure I get the point.

Err... Roughly the same photo (bar a little distortion that's easily explained) with a vertical red line in different places? In one it's to the right of the tower in the other it's on the centre of the tower. I'm not sure I get the point.
the photo has been corrected for distortion.

Corrected for distortion, or merely rotated CCW?

So why is the red line in different places? Hardly any sort of reference is it. Sure you're not being fooled by it?
You never tilted your easel when printing? Common technique for correcting converging verticals.

Whoever straightened the original photo made sure Der Führer und Reichskanzler was vertical, even though he probably wasn't actually vertical when the photo was taken.

The_Traveler has shown the two vertical lines as being not only in two different places, but actually are the guidelines for two different straightening criteria.

If you insist on using Hitler to level the image you have to expect that it will end up with a strong lean to to the right!:048:

Most reactions

Back