Man trapped in car films himself being cut out with Jaws of life.

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some blood and swearing. The guy was obviously doped up on painkillers to take this so casually. Sounds like he fell asleep at the wheel.

From the guy....
"I'm okay. On January 11th, 2015 I blacked out behind the wheel at 530 in the morning after a

night in Victoria, BC. Drove straight into a pole on the drivers side at 60km/h in Duncan, BC. Suffered a broken right arm. Broken left Femur. Broke both knee caps. And both ankles.

Went for major surgery in Victoria which took total 14 hours over a couple days. Metal plates and screws all over. Spent a month in hospital. Only 1 hot nurse :| But I'm home now. And recovering quickly!"

Of course alcohol and/or other intoxicating substances would have been in no way involved.

Of course alcohol and/or other intoxicating substances would have been in no way involved.

Perhaps, but I am sure they gave him something for the pain. You'd have to be incredibly drunk/stoned to not be in extreme pain in that situation.

Maybe @pixmedic can chime in.

Perhaps, but I am sure they gave him something for the pain. You'd have to be incredibly drunk/stoned to not be in extreme pain in that situation.

Maybe @pixmedic can chime in.

maaaybe...
the problem would have been establishing peripheral IV access while hes entrapped like that.
we have orderes for fentanyl via a MAD device (basically turns it into a nasal spray) for situations where we cant get IV access, but it wasn't looking like there was much room to work in there. they did manage to get a cervical collar on though, so it is possible. Typically narcotics arent given until the PT is out of the vehicle in case there is a negative reaction, like if they use morphine and it drops their B/P.

he didn't sound like he was black-out drunk, but it could be a combination of alcohol and other drugs.

we took a PT the other night that blew a .638
He went to the ER tubed and on a ventilator.

I really wish that laws could be changed so that the first act by any first responder was to breathlyze someone in that situation; if they're drunk/stoned, then they get left where they are. If they figure out how to get out on their own fine. If not... oh well.

I really wish that laws could be changed so that the first act by any first responder was to breathalyze someone in that situation; if they're drunk/stoned, then they get left where they are. If they figure out how to get out on their own fine. If not... oh well.
hm...say what? really?
I could understand some of what you've said but... wait... what?

I really wish that laws could be changed so that the first act by any first responder was to breathalyze someone in that situation; if they're drunk/stoned, then they get left where they are. If they figure out how to get out on their own fine. If not... oh well.
hm...say what? really?
Really? Why should the time of first responders and tax-payer's money be wasted on people who are too stupid to follow rules? How would you feel feel if the ambulance that was needed to save your mother's life after a heart-attack was dealing with some drug-addled scum bag who over-dosed?

hm...say what? really?
Really? Why should the time of first responders and tax-payer's money be wasted on people who are too stupid to follow rules? How would you feel feel if the ambulance that was needed to save your mother's life after a heart-attack was dealing with some drug-addled scum bag who over-dosed?
Seems a bit harsh. Should they measure the skid marks and make sure they weren't speeding either? Check to make sure they didn't cheat on their taxes?

Yes, really.

Why should the time of first responders and tax-payer's money be wasted on people who are too stupid to follow rules?
A person's life, can't be seen trough the tax-payer's money. Blame the state for taxes.

How would you feel feel if the ambulance that was needed to save your mother's life after a heart-attack was dealing with some drug-addled scum bag who over-dosed?
Where does that hatery come from? Why?

Life thought me not to judge. Like, seriously, not to jugde people. Can't really say that was easy though, because I was very judgemental... but at some point I did stop. When you're trying to be as good as you possible can it's easy not to understand how some other people won't do the same.

I don't defend "those" people but at the end, it's about a human life.

Experiencing "enough" of death/sicknesses/conditions/whatever (and enough of "why he/she, he/she's a good person, why not the other one, a bad person") in my life, changed my perception.

In your scenario... I simply wouldn't be thinking about that other person, that ambulance, that people... I would be thinking about the fact that my mother's life is ended. Wouldn't blame anyone. Blaming someone is a poison.

And... what if my mother was a "drug-addled scum bag who over-dosed"? what then?

Sometimes, it would be nice to see some people actually have to take responsibility for themselves and face the concequenceses of their actions instead of being bailed out by someone else.

Sometimes, it would be nice to see some people actually have to take responsibility for themselves and face the concequenceses of their actions instead of being bailed out by someone else.
I agree of course, everyone would... It would be nice if things worked like that, but they don't.

A person's life, can't be seen trough the tax-payer's money. Blame the state for taxes.
I don't blame anyone for taxes, or perhaps conversely I blame everyone, since we as a society have created the need for taxes. My point didn't relate to taxes, rather to the fact that emergency services are normally, in Canada at least funded with tax dollars, and therefore limited. Assume we have two events, both of equal medical severity; one is a senior citizen who has had heart attack, the other a car accident, with the only person involved someone who was too drunk to legally drive. There is only one ambulance...

Where does that hatery come from? Why?
I think 'hate' is a bit strong, but the root of it would be that in order for the society that we have created over many generations, to function with something at least resembling effency, we need rules. People who choose not to follow those rules should not be able to reap the benefits of our society since allowing that removes the incentive for adherence.

And... what if my mother was a "drug-addled scum bag who over-dosed"? what then?
What then indeed?

When you sign up to be a cop/doctor/fire fighter/emt the job is to help everyone, regardless of their race, wealth, health and life choices.

If we don't treat everyone equally we slide down a very slippery slope.

If youre going to take money from taxpayers, and then say that only certain people can utilize those public services being funded from it, then the better solution to stop collecting taxes and to privatize EMS and only help those who pay for it.

If youre going to take money from taxpayers, and then say that only certain people can utilize those public services being funded from it, then the better solution to stop collecting taxes and to privatize EMS and only help those who can actually pay for it.
Working for a private company, I wish WE would do that....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back