Manual Settings

sxesweets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How often do you find yourself using full manual settings and what are you shooting when you do?

I'd say my most used setting would be aperture priority. I use full manual when I have time to set up a shot or am looking for something in particular, usually with studio work.

I guess I would be 80% aperture or shutter priority...20% manual.

Manual for when I want consistent exposures...or when I'm trying to do something specific.

I use manual mode when it suits the situation and Aperture priority the rest of the time.

I use manual mode when shooting with flash; either on-camera E-TTL, off camera flash or when using studio strobes.

Aperture priority mode most of the time, Manual whenever I can't use that for whatever reason.

Also, any time I need to use Bulb I go to manual (obviously).

Last edited:
Manual is a mode????? I was wondering what all those other letters and pictures meant on that dial :D.

P.S. most of my cameras don't have any other options.

It's not pointless, but its more work than you need for the majority of what it is out there. If of course you are interested in certain affects and NEED a greater control, sure. But for the most part the camera is more than capable of handling the rest so long as you tell it where you want it to start (AP mode for example).

Thanks everyone. I'm still trying to decide on a camera right now. I'm just playing with settings and stuff on the "wannabe" Panasonic Lumix fz18 I was given last christmas (had my Pentax stolen) So anyways... like I said I'm playing with settings and reading a TON... I've been printing out all sorts of tutorials so I can take them along to read whenever I have time.

I shoot full manual 99.9% of the time. Every rare once in a while, I may shoot one of the priority modes, but that's usually just messing around.

I always shoot manual.
I don't trust the camera to pick the other mode levels appropriately.

Manual ALL the time...i think i need to take advantage of the Apeture priority though. I do a lot of party photos and dont have a lot of time to play around with exposures right in the middle of the party :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back