Manually Trigger Flash

muzz105

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I have the sigma ring flash and am trying to trigger the flash manually through a hotshoe adapter with PC sync cable. This system works fine for my Canon 580EX, but when I connect the sigma it doesn't fire, any suggestions please?

How old is the flash? How old is the camera? I ask because I once bought a Minolta Z6 digital camera thinking it would go with a Minolta xi flash I own since all the contacts matched. But Minolta blocked it out somehow.

Test the flash. via the cable look at the hotshoe adapater, turn on the flash, and then use a piece of INSULATED wire and short the centre of the PC sync connector to the outside. This is how a camera triggers a flash.

I highlighted this read because some old flashes (going back quite a few years) have incredibly high sync voltages. Mind you if this is the case you would have probably fried your camera by now, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the replies. I did the shorting out test with both my 580 and the EM 140DG, which is only a couple of years old, it fires the canon ok, but no joy with the Sigma. I asumed that all flashes were manually fired by shorting when on the hotshoe adapter? Maybe my ignorance!

Yes all flashes are fired that way. At least that's the overriding method. Loads of flashes these days have fancy electronic gadgets to sort the TTL measurement etc, but even they should still fire when you short the hot pin to ground.

You say the sigma didn't do this? You tried through the PC Sync cord or the hotshoe itself? Maybe the flash has seen it's last photo.

Hi Thanks, Yes I tried it trough the sync cord and it works for the canon, not he sigma. The flash is still very much in new condition, and works perfectly wen on the camera. This is very perplexing!!

Most reactions

Back