Martial Arts

very well put and i agree completely. but wouldnt you agree instead of me going down the street and finding a bum to pick a fight with, i could go to the gym or to the dojo and take out the frustration, and be a better man for it without hurting anyone. and at the same time learning something new and exciting?

md

THAT'S IT F@%& MARTIAL ARTS! LETS ALL GO TAKE A BASKET WEAVING COURSE! Who ever got hurt weaving baskets? Who gets pissed off while weaving baskets? And if someone came up to you and pointed a gun at you and said "Hey MOFO! GIMME ALL YOUR MONEY!" You could just take out your basket weaving materials and say "how about instead, I weave you a nice basket?" Then the dude would know that you just escaped from the looney bin and therefore have no money. :) There. Conflict solved.

wow, i was looking for an excuse to lock this thread. corry, thanks sweetie!!!

md

just kidding. i kinda like corry's basket weaving idea!!! i signed everyone up!!

md

Man that is the course for me... Conflict resolution thru basket weaving! I can see it now, The deadly art of basket weaving taught by 11th degree master sensai Core_17. ;)

LOL@COre! HOw funny.

Digital Matt said:
Well, I guess the difference between you and I is, I think life is too short to let some redneck and his bullying bother me.

I never said it bothered me; I welcome it, it's fun! :)

Digital Matt said:
I'll walk away every time.

And I will not. I guess that's just a difference between us.

Havoc said:
I think Matt has it right. So what if the guy is trying to get you to fight, the better man walks away... Everytime

I guess that depends on your definition of "better." There's a difference in a pacafist and someone who is too cowardice to stick up for what is right - one I respect, the other I cannot. When I put a bully in his place, it doesn't just feel good for doing what is right, it feels good knowing that I have probably helped many people in the future by making this guy think twice about doing that again.

It reminds me of how my grandmother used to scoff at me for honking at people when they would do something like run through a red light and almost kill us. I used to tell her, "If I honk at them, maybe next time they'll wait their turn. Otherwise, they'll likely do it again."

Havoc said:
I have seen Tank Abbott, and i am glad he was suspended for his behavior. He is a total white trash loser, certainly not a role model, unless your wanting to become a bar fighting alcoholic.

Lol, how true. I never said I respected or looked up to him, just that he is a good example of someone who will get in your face and take your head off, and someone who doesn't beleve in "karate kid" martial arts. The only reason Tank respects the few martial arts he does (MT, boxing and BJJ) are because people have made him respect them in the ring.

Havoc said:
I am not Trolling Bokeh, nor am i looking to get into some lame forum fight with you over an opinion. I am more then willing to hear your responses and respect your opinion even if i happen to disagree. I do believe though if you are going to lay down your opinion in a public forum, then you should be willing to debate or defend your position

I can more than defend my position, but I am not willing to do it with you, esp. not here. See, what you don't realize is, I've been through this on martial arts forums in the past, and it never gets anyone anywhere. People who believe arts like karate and tkd are effective usually believe that because they've invested a lot of time in those arts and don't want to hear that they aren't effective. Engaging in this "debate" you're demanding me to engage in will not change your viewpoint. If you're looking for some kind of vindication I suggest you sign up at mma.tv, there are THOUSANDS of people on there who just love to debate things like that, beleive me 8) About every other month a newbie gets on there and starts making claims that this or that art is better than this or that one. Most people roll their eyes, but many actually join in the flame war. I however will not. Again, in my mind, which art works and which art doesn't has been proven in venues like the UFC and Pride.

I've given my suggestions to MD, he can decide for himself what the best school and art in his area is.

P.S. I noticed you live in Oregon; have you ever heard of Randy Cotoure? Now THAT is a role model, esp. for us "old guys" :shock:

i once heard of an elderly woman who strangled another classmate with basket weaving material for having an affair with her husband. fiesty and dangerous women in those clubs! :shock:

jonmikal said:
i once heard of an elderly woman who strangled another classmate with basket weaving material for having an affair with her husband. fiesty and dangerous women in those clubs! :shock:

That's just not right. You fit in well around here. :D

Bokeh, it sounds like you enjoy fighting, and you look for it.

I don't think walking away from a fight is a sign of cowardice. I think it's a sign of maturity, and intelligence.

I'm sticking up for what I believe is right by disagreeing with you about fighting.

Oh, and don't get me wrong MD. I'm not saying you shouldn't get into martial arts. I think it's great, and I highly recommend it. I get out my agressions by beating up a drumset. :)

Digital Matt said:
Bokeh, it sounds like you enjoy fighting, and you look for it.

Ask my wife or any of my friends about me; you'll find that is absolutely untrue. I'm a very nice person and I love most people and would give my shirt to a stranger. I just don't take $ from bullies or people who think they have more rights than me. I'm not sure what I said on this thread to give you that impression of me. Please point it out.

Digital Matt said:
I don't think walking away from a fight is a sign of cowardice.

I don't necessarily think that either. It all depends on the circumstances. I've walked away from fights before; I can think of a few off the top of my head. One was with a drunk old man in a club I was completely unwilling to fight. Another was with a biker who was also pretty old, this was very recent. I got up and went to the restroom. When I got back, thsi guy about 50 years old, around 140# with tattoo's and a leather jacket was sitting in my chair. I said "Hey, can I have my seat back." He simply said "No." and turned his back on me. I just stood there, waiting, and my wife told him to get up. I wouldn't have fought the guy unless he attacked me, but I didn't think it was right that he took my chair, esp. since I was videotaping karaoke and had an excellent vantage point from that position. He apologized and all was well.

Digital Matt said:
I think it's a sign of maturity, and intelligence.

Depends on the situation. Honestly, I think many people use that line as a cop-out because they don't want to put forth the effort to learn to defend themselves.

Digital Matt said:
I'm sticking up for what I believe is right by disagreeing with you about fighting.

I respect that and welcome discussion. It's really Havoc that I have no desire to debate with because I've been through all that. I was just trying to save MD a lot of time and money choosing a poor school and/art martial art.

Digital Matt said:
Oh, and don't get me wrong MD. I'm not saying you shouldn't get into martial arts. I think it's great, and I highly recommend it. I get out my agressions by beating up a drumset. :)

Well Matt, hopefully you never get put in a situation where you are forced to defend yourself. If you are, it will only take once, and you may very well regret the thoughts you posted here. It only takes once. And there are people who can outrun you too :) Hopefully that will never happen. I have seen situations where a guy accidentally bumps into another guy and before any words are said or anything at all it was basically on. Several guys I have trained with are bouncers at clubs and I hear stories like that all the time.

MD's right, it's a scary world out there. What can you do if someone pulls a gun on you? IMHO, not much, except cooperate and/or run, or if you think the guy will shoot you anyway, fight back as a last resort. But even having a gun yourself could likely get you killed anyway. But when it comes to unarmed combat, there definitely are effective training methodologies to help people defend themselves against aggressive people.

It is a scary world, and training and preparing for violence only perpetuates it, in my view.

The reason(s) I think you are looking for a fight is because you said you aren't bothered by rednecks bullying, you, that you think it's fun. That statement makes it sound like you welcome a chance to throw down on somebody and prove how tough you are. I also think the fact that you have so many stories of fights or near fights is a pretty clear indication. I've never been in a fight in my 28 years. It doesn't mean I don't stand up for myself. When necessary I will. It's not often necessary or worth it, if there is no conceivable positive outcome.

I have a friend who gets in fights all the time. Why? He wants to. He's an angry guy. (I'm not comparing you to him, just giving an example. I don't know you at all) He's depressed, he thinks being tough and not taking any bs from anyone makes him look cool, and attractive to others. Since he doesn't like himself, he can't handle when anyone else doesn't like him and has something to say. To me, that kind of behaviour is childish. I've been in a lot of those same situations he was in, and his turned into a fight, and mine didn't go past 1 or 2 words.

If you go out with an attitude of, "I'm ready for a fight, I can handle myself, nobody will mess with me", people can read it on your face, your stance, your body language, and similar minded people will start stuff. They don't see that body language from me. Whether you think that makes me a target or not, I don't care. I will never regret my attitude or thoughts on fighting. If someone wants to stab me in the back while I'm walking away, that's human nature. I can't help that, no more than I can stop myself from getting hit by a bus.

I've already been dead twice, and I'm not back on this earth to be wasting my time worrying about defending myself, or learning to fight. I'm more interested in learning to love.

What the hell is fun about going through life giving a **** about dealing with some random punk that would require you to know martial arts? I started martial arts looking at all the positives, including defending myself. Perhaps in my head I was some hero for the babe at the bar... but realized, you pretty much have to be actively looking for a fight to ever get in one as an adult. I haven't had a single confrontation where I felt the only way out was to "stick up my dukes" (since the 7th grade) More times than not, knowing any martial art does nothing for you in a gun fight.

It's only a scary world out there if you make it that way. You can't change the winds but you can adjust the sails. Worrying about a hurricane will get you nowhere.

It's obvious in this thread that people have different opinions of what martial arts really is. If you're interested in fighting in a cage go with BJJ. Otherwise, keep an open mind and you will find what is right for you.

Digital Matt said:
It is a scary world, and training and preparing for violence only perpetuates it, in my view.

Then why are you on this thread? It's a thread asking about training in martial arts. Are you here just to argue?

Digital Matt said:
The reason(s) I think you are looking for a fight is because you said you aren't bothered by rednecks bullying, you, that you think it's fun.

Yes, I did - but you said I "look" for fights. I don't, not even close. But YES I will definitely not walk away when confronted; again, that's a difference between us.

Digital Matt said:
I also think the fact that you have so many stories of fights or near fights is a pretty clear indication.

Not sure how you figured that...

Digital Matt said:
He's depressed, he thinks being tough and not taking any bs from anyone makes him look cool, and attractive to others

So do you think that if someone enjoys fighting they're angry and depressed? You should listen to an interview from guys like Randy Cotoure, Royce Gracie, Renzo Gracie and Matt Hughes. They're some of the nicest, soft-spoken people in the world. I visited Renzo's school up in NYC a few years ago when I was on a business trip and he was an cinredibly nice guy; yet one of the best fighters in the world in his prime. So, I think saying if you enjoy fighting you're messed up or something is just a silly theory.

Digital Matt said:
Since he doesn't like himself, he can't handle when anyone else doesn't like him and has something to say. To me, that kind of behaviour is childish. I've been in a lot of those same situations he was in, and his turned into a fight, and mine didn't go past 1 or 2 words.

Sorry, but I wouldn't let someone get in my face and start saying bad things to me. You choose to, but please don't act like you're better than me because I refuse to do the same, or say things like I'm "acting tough." I told you I respected your decisions, you should mine as well.

Digital Matt said:
If you go out with an attitude of, "I'm ready for a fight, I can handle myself, nobody will mess with me", people can read it on your face, your stance, your body language, and similar minded people will start stuff.

That is absolutely untrue. In fact, the opposite is true. If you go out and look weak, you're most likely to get picked on. That's a fact. bullies feed on weakness and fear.

Digital Matt said:
I will never regret my attitude or thoughts on fighting.

That's great, I respect that. I don't regret my thoughts on it either.

Digital Matt said:
I've already been dead twice, and I'm not back on this earth to be wasting my time worrying about defending myself, or learning to fight.

That's great, again I hope you can always talk yourself out of every situation with every person who might ever attack you.

voodoocat said:
you pretty much have to be actively looking for a fight to ever get in one as an adult.

Lol, I'm sorry, but that is completely untrue. Absolutely, it is untrue. Those people in high school who were bullies didn't disappear when they turned 18.

voodoocat said:
It's only a scary world out there if you make it that way.

Really? How do you figure that? Is crime just an "imagined" phenomenon? No, it's real. You just ahven't had to encounter it yet. I hope you don't. But you and I are chosing different paths to dealing with it when it does.

voodoocat said:
If you're interested in fighting in a cage go with BJJ.

Or if you're interested in learning the best self defense sysetm in the world today that has been proven over and over again to be highly, highly effective.

I really have no interest in explaining why I choose not to live in fear of something I've been told exists by someone on the internets or anywhere else. It wouldn't matter anyway. I've seen enough debates about bjj being the BESTEST MARTIAL ART EVAR!!! OMG!! r0x! to realize it's wasted typing.

There's a difference between being confident and proud asshole. The confident people are enjoying life while the proud assholes are fighting each other.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back