MBD80 issue?

Mach0

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone here run across the false low battery issue? Apparently, the d80/d90 battery terminal pins are SLIGHTLY different in the center but use the same grip. My grip is a 3rd party from Adorama but its built very well. Apparently, some of them suffer the same fate as the earlier oem Nikon ones.

Now to the chase, my grip had aftermarket batteries and was functioning well since I had it. Recently, the battery would flash and it would shut off. I bought another oem battery and placed both oem batteries in it. Worked then flashed and shut the camera off. I've read online about bending the middle terminal inward or placing a thin piece of cardboard in front of the mbd80 grip. By doing so, it forces the off center pin to be centered again and problem fixed. Does anyone have any pictures of this? I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that has had this happen. I can always send back to adorama but if and when they try it out and it works fine, They will find it ok. It doesn't happen all the time but enough to tick me off.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an issue with my grip. Once the first battery drains, the grip doesn't recognize the other battery and the camera shuts off. I have to actually remove the dead battery, and then the camera will run off of the other batter. More of an inconvenience then anything, but still an issue I didn't think I should be having.

myko5 said:
I have an issue with my grip. Once the first battery drains, the grip doesn't recognize the other battery and the camera shuts off. I have to actually remove the dead battery, and then the camera will run off of the other batter. More of an inconvenience then anything, but still an issue I didn't think I should be having.

Theres a fix regarding bending the middle pin.. I don't know how I feel about that. Plus there's the cardboard fix. I found one pic of it and tried it. I have not been shooting since but it's intermittent. It will take some trying out.

Welcome to the world of the type of issues that can be caused by using 3rd party gear.

Myko5 doesn't say what brand batteries he is using.

Nikon batteries have a chip in them that communicates with the camera 3rd party makers have to reverse engineer, which means it's quite possible they miss some of the nuances that Nikon incorporated into their design.

KmH said:
Welcome to the world of the type of issues that can be caused by using 3rd party gear.

Myko5 doesn't say what brand batteries he is using.

Nikon batteries have a chip in them that communicates with the camera 3rd party makers have to reverse engineer, which means it's quite possible they miss some of the nuances that Nikon incorporated into their design.

I know I am using oem batteries. It's confirmed to happen in early gen oem Nikon mbd80 grips as well. That's where I saw the fix from. I just havent found pics showing how to actually fix it. My random guess is that the 3rd party grips were reverse engineered off of early Nikon Mb-d80 grips and that's why they are still affected. I can buy the official mb-d80 but at the end of the day, it looks identical, still made of plastic, and can still have the same issue. I'll be hella upset if I bought a Nikon one and same ish happens.

I have the nikon grip, one nikon battery, and one promaster battery. I didn't realize there was a fix for this. I really don't think it is that big of a hassle that I need to start messing with pins.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back