Nikon GPS ..... which one?

charlie76

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys...I am looking for advice on which GPS unit to get for my Nikon D7000...which by the way is a freakishly amazing piece of hardware. If anyone has read my other post....I am moving from Northern CA to NH...solo drive with my dog..no kids. It is a serious photographic opportunity...and I am considering getting a GPS for my brand-ass new Nikon D7000....which by the way is totally awesome ;)

Does anyone have any suggestions!!

I don't have any suggestions, but I'd like to know what benefit a GPS unit adds to a camera, besides marking locations of each photo that is.

I have no idea, but that sounds like a killer adventure! I drove all the way from Indiana to California when I was 18 years old. This was well before I got into photography seriously, so I definitely missed some great opportunities for amazing pics. Bravo to you. I am envious :)

I don't have any suggestions, but I'd like to know what benefit a GPS unit adds to a camera, besides marking locations of each photo that is.

For me, I would say it's just a cool thing to have. Kind of like a trophy, if you will. It's a documentation in both photograph and data :) :)

amandamartin said:
For me, I would say it's just a cool thing to have. Kind of like a trophy, if you will. It's a documentation in both photograph and data :) :)

Absolutely...totally necessary for a big trip. Otherwise I gotta..remember? Don't think so

amandamartin said:
I have no idea, but that sounds like a killer adventure! I drove all the way from Indiana to California when I was 18 years old. This was well before I got into photography seriously, so I definitely missed some great opportunities for amazing pics. Bravo to you. I am envious :)

Thank u thank u...I am pretty excited myself. I figure I'll take two weeks or so and just go wherever I want...which is anywhere. I can't imagine all the awesome places to take pictures of! If you have any suggestions or whatever... Im leaving in a month or so and I'll be post pictures as I go...I think.

Jaemie said:

I think it's just the benefit of having each shot marked with a location...since I'll be hitting so many places in such a short time...would be cool to have

Yes, it does sound rather cool. I also forget that most people have large memory cards that needn't be downloaded very frequently. My 256MB CF card can only hold a few photos at a time, and I label each batch with location and date.

Jaemie said:
Yes, it does sound rather cool. I also forget that most people have large memory cards that needn't be downloaded very frequently. My 256MB CF card can only hold a few photos at a time, and I label each batch with location and date.

Right...I take pictures at lightning speed sometimes...all in RAW. I have one 35 gig card in mine and Im getting another soon!! No messin around

charlie76 said:
Right...I take pictures at lightning speed sometimes...all in RAW. I have one 35 gig card in mine and Im getting another soon!! No messin around

The only downside to cards that large - thats a whole lot of pictures you'll lose when the card fails.

The only downside to cards that large - thats a whole lot of pictures you'll lose when the card fails.
Thats why I wished they would make 2 cards per camera and backup mode option for the second card slot default for all "serious" cameras. :meh:

Including, but not limited to, any DSLR.

Its even worse with these new cameras like the D800, where they seriously two slots, but they are of different type.

In twenty years, many of us will start to forget where a given image was taken.

Nikon is way behind the times when it comes to GPS units. There's several after-market makers that have them beat, both in function and price.

Me, I just use my phone.

Most reactions

Back