me

marmots

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i was trying to get a self-pic for my facebook profile, but i didn't want it to look like crap (the facebook standard) what do you guys think?

i know the focus is a little off the eyes but the way i had this set up i was struggling to reach my mouse (remote shooting), and stay still, without bumping the camera so it was the best i was going to get in under a couple hours
me3g.jpg

not bad.

that string/dust on he hat, however is distracting.

clone that out.

on the hat? that's actually a part of the hat that's supposed to be there but ill get rid of it

but the way i had this set up i was struggling to reach my mouse (remote shooting), and stay still
I'm not sure what that means.

Profile shots can be quite a problem, but can also be quite dramatic.

Your lighting could use some change. As is, the position of the main light source is coming straight on to you, which is not necessarily a problem, but the vertical position is. This is causing the deformed nose effect by the shadows.

You have no chin.

Looking bored or stoned doesn't really add any interest.

I would suggest to get the main light source at an angle and use some fill light using a reflector at the least to grab some detail and cast shadows in a more pleasing manner.

You could also reposition the light source on an opposite wall to create a silohuette.

Examples:

799867190_u63XP-XL.jpg

896762824_z7M4a-XL.jpg

613423869_VAPvE-XL.jpg

Just my 2¢.​

thanks i wasn't expecting much from this shot but maybe in the future ill try these out, probably not on myself (not very photogenic)

what i meant was that the tripod was in the way and i had to reach for the mouse, it was manual focus only in this mode so i still had to be able to reach the camera, and it was 4 AM so i couldn't exactly get any helpers, plus the light source was a desk lamp

Don't be silly. I seriously doubt that anyone started out with a primed model to shoot. Self portrsits are a necessity, it helps us grow as photographers. the thing is to keep trying, throw out what doesn't work and absorb what does.

If you're serious, what you need is to understand and see light. Wthout it we may as well be holding a box of rocks in our hands. A very good book is Light: Science and Magic.

BTW, what are you shooting with?

i have a couple friends who i could practice with (one of which does some modeling), i just don't have very good teeth so i try to keep my mouth closed which often doesn't turn out very well

BTW, what are you shooting with?
canon rebel t2i W/ 18-135 kit lense

Right, so you have a real camera. Not a clue about Canon as I'm a Nikon user, but we'll just shelve the differences for now. :biggrin:

Here's a few tips I've garnered over the last few years for SPs. Fisrt and foremost, is the focal point on the eye, Secondly, lighting is key. Tertiarary is the emotive aspect. Lastly is the setup.

So let's talk about the setup. A tripod would be most beneficial, but less a tripod, some reasonable method to secure your camera. A small beanbag works wonders. Next, find a broom, mop handle or whatever you have at your disposal for a point of focus. I've used all sorts of props, but the key element is the focus. Nail the focus where your eyes will (suposedly) be. Use an apeture setting that will be appropriate, which is usually in the f/4 to f/8 range IMO.

I have to rely in autofocus because my eyes decieve me these days, but the point is to be spot on with your focal point. Once acheived, turn AF off.

Use your self-timer, have a laugh and Bob's your uncle.

Right, so you have a real camera. Not a clue about Canon as I'm a Nikon user, but we'll just shelve the differences for now. :biggrin:

Here's a few tips I've garnered over the last few years for SPs. Fisrt and foremost, is the focal point on the eye, Secondly, lighting is key. Tertiarary is the emotive aspect. Lastly is the setup.

So let's talk about the setup. A tripod would be most beneficial, but less a tripod, some reasonable method to secure your camera. A small beanbag works wonders. Next, find a broom, mop handle or whatever you have at your disposal for a point of focus. I've used all sorts of props, but the key element is the focus. Nail the focus where your eyes will (suposedly) be. Use an apeture setting that will be appropriate, which is usually in the f/4 to f/8 range IMO.

I have to rely in autofocus because my eyes decieve me these days, but the point is to be spot on with your focal point. Once acheived, turn AF off.

Use your self-timer, have a laugh and Bob's your uncle.

I'm not brand new... my old camera had a manual shooting and focus i know
to focus on the eye i explained that i tried to but when remote shooting with live view i cant use auto focus, and the tripod was in the way so i had to struggle to reach my mouse which made it very hard to stay still, plus i wasn't trying to take to long so i new it wouldn't turn out very well
( it was 4A.m. and i was tired), my lighting equipment consisted of a desk lamp, there was not much i was able to do with this, but i will probably get the book you recommended as i really don't know much about lighting yet, i just wanted to know how bad/ good you thought it was, i already saw a lot of flaws in it, Ive been viewing threads on here for a while ( about a year now) and i have learned a lot (this is one of my primary resources) but still have a lot to learn thank you for the input ill post back with more

what is have a laugh and bob's your uncle supposed to mean????

Most reactions

Back