Medium format or tilt shift?

Format will not be as apparent as other factors such as lens, lighting, and post. I have taken shots with small medium and large format cameras and often cannot remember which was used where from the image.

My thought with switching format was to eliminate some of the distortion you get with wide angles. The not that there will be a dramatic difference, but there would be enough to make it worth a try.

You will have far less optical distortion with large format since there's no flange-focal length issues needed to overcome with optical designs. Medium format still suffers from this since there's still usually a FFL distance involved. But unless you have access to MF digital gear, you're shooting film then scanning.

If you're using 17mm as a basis for a full-frame DSLR, you'll be looking at somewhere around 30-35mm for MF and 50-60mm for 4x5.

4x5 w/ 65mm:

Capital%20Rotunda%202nd%20Floor%20post.jpg

All perspective correction done in-cam. No distortion.

I have the old Nikkor PC lens which can really make a building (or any tall structure) pop when shooting it. These old Nikkors can be had for around $80 if you are patient on ebay. I have only played around with it a bit so far but but it can really make for some cool shots. PC is something that I would agree should be done in the lens if you can. Below is a sample I shot with after I got it. It takes some time to master the lens and really make the most of it. I say go for the lens if you can, it will make a noticeable difference.

DSC_0032.jpg

I would say: work with what you're familiar with.
This would be a hell of a time to screw up due to using gear you're not 100% sure about.
If it is that big a deal, rent a Hassie and ask for the digital assistant option.

I can't believe someone hasn't said it yet "Hire a Pro"
Why not hire the 645 and a tilt shift lens for it

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back