megapixels and sensor size

mallard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.uncensoredfreespeech.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was walking up the beach last weekend and was talking to a guy takin pics with a canon DSLR and he said that Pentax was crap because it had 14 megapixels on a small sensor (an APS size as opposed to a 35mm size). is there really that much of a difference? he said that more megapixels on a smaller sensor made for more noise.

then again, im used to people only favoring one product and saying everything else was bunk

Well, he was right. But hugely depends of the sensor. If it's the exact sensor and one has 10 MP and another has 14MP, well the 14MP will not take better photos, maybe just enlarge them a bit. The fact is that on a sensor with more MP, the extra pixels are crowded together, it's like you put in a car 8 people in stead of 5 people as it supposed to be. So yeah in this case this thing might generate some more noise.

I might be wrong though.

Anyway don;t worry about it, usually the difference is unnoticeable to the eye :)

There are several factors that influence the amount of noise.

Yes, it's usually true that the less 'crowded' the sensor is, the less noise it will produce. This is a big reason why digi-cams are so noisy...they cram 8, 10 even 12 MP onto a tiny little sensor.

However, you can look at a camera like the Canon 40D, which I think is 12MP....on the same size sensor as the digital Rebel or Rebel XT etc. The 40D will give you less noise because it's newer technology and the camera's processor handles noise better, especially at high ISO.

It does sound like they guy was a gear snob...don't worry about it. A good photographer can make great photos with either camera.

thanks for the input. From what I read, the highest end Pentax, although it has the smaller sensor size, is a CMOS instead of a CCD (whatever those are) and its chips and software are supposed to be good.

he told me I could do better with a canon 5D which should be coming down in price.....but its still more (twice as much) than the pentax K20d

CMOS and CCD are different types of sensors...CMOS does seem to be the preferred type for higher end cameras.

The 5D is a 'full frame' DSLR and has a large sensor (same as 35mm film)...which gives it an advantage over most other DSLR cameras. It does have a fairly high price tag though.

You should have told him that he could do better with a Canon 1Ds mark III ($8000)...or a Nikon D3....or a 60 mega pixel Hasselblad digital camera :roll:

There is always something better...but to some people, whatever they have, is always better than what you have...and they like to let you know about it.

CMOS and CCD are different types of sensors...CMOS does seem to be the preferred type for higher end cameras.

The 5D is a 'full frame' DSLR and has a large sensor (same as 35mm film)...which gives it an advantage over most other DSLR cameras. It does have a fairly high price tag though.

You should have told him that he could do better with a Canon 1Ds mark III ($8000)...or a Nikon D3....or a 60 mega pixel Hasselblad digital camera :roll:

There is always something better...but to some people, whatever they have, is always better than what you have...and they like to let you know about it.

actually I can do better with a crown graphic and a real darkroom.....but if im limited to digital im trying to be as informed as i can. I can understand some people wanting to think that certain brands are better than others. I support CATIA software.....I think UG NX is just about as good....but i think Pro-E is crap. Then again, that is my field of expertise...cameras arent other than a fun avocation.

excellent links....thanks

another thing I forgot about was dust....it can be hell keeping dust off an 8X10 negative. Although compared to that, im sure it still can be an issue with the larger the sensor gets, the more chance you have to get dust on it

Well if dynamic range is what you're after I suggest you look at the Fuji cameras (I think), you know the ones built in the Nikon bodies. I believe they have a different sensor layout then the standard 4 pixel bayer GRGB, and include a greyscale luminance sensor too. Taken from the visual system of the human eye which has 3 rods (RGB) and a cone (grey scale luminance for low light) it apparently gives better dynamic range.

I'm talking from what I've heard here only, I've never actually used the thing.

Well if dynamic range is what you're after I suggest you look at the Fuji cameras (I think), you know the ones built in the Nikon bodies. I believe they have a different sensor layout then the standard 4 pixel bayer GRGB, and include a greyscale luminance sensor too. Taken from the visual system of the human eye which has 3 rods (RGB) and a cone (grey scale luminance for low light) it apparently gives better dynamic range.

I'm talking from what I've heard here only, I've never actually used the thing.

I don't notice "sensor size" as a spec on many of the sites when looking for new cameras. Is it called something else?

another thing I forgot about was dust....it can be hell keeping dust off an 8X10 negative. Although compared to that, im sure it still can be an issue with the larger the sensor gets, the more chance you have to get dust on it

Dust can be a problem, but with a digital sensor you only have to fix the file once, and if you screw up you just start over. Compared to retouching a neg of any size, or spotting every print it's a breeze.

I read that matching the lens and the sensor size was an important factor. This right off the Pentax website.

The image circle in DA-series lenses is designed to perfectly match the 23.5mm x 15.7mm size of the CCD used in PENTAX digital SLRs to optimize camera performance (now a cmos sensor in the latest model).

Is this true or is it just advertising spin?? If its the case, how do Canon make their lenses work on a 5D 35.8x23.9 and just as good on a XSi which is only 22.2x14.8?? Maybe Im not fully understanding something here.

It might be called "format". At dpreview.com it's usually just specified under "sensor".

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Camera_System/sensor_sizes_01.htm

Found it...Now the $1,000,000 issue. So I have a Canon today that is 4 megapixels with a 1/1.8 sensor. The ones on the market now are 8 megapixels with a 1/2.5 sensor. It would then seem as if there is no way these could take as good a picture since they are cramming double the megapixels into a much smaller sensor. But then my current camera is 5 years old so how can something newer take a poorer picture. I am missing something right?

So is the Canon Rebel Xt (8MP) sensor "crowded"? Would the 6MP Nikon D40 produce better pictures?

Most reactions

Back