Megapixels

danir

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I read in many threads that megapixels don't matter.
I don't understand how this is possible. Isn't the number of pixels the determinant of spatial resolution?

Dani.

Really megapixels are how clear and detailed the picture can be along with how big you can make prints.

I read in many threads that megapixels don't matter.
I don't understand how this is possible. Isn't the number of pixels the determinant of spatial resolution?

Dani.

Yes. Megapixels do matter. They just don't matter very much these days. Once you get past 4 or 5 MP on an APS camera, the differences are subtle at best. I have a 6MP camera and an 10MP camera. Six of one, as far as I'm concerned. The images look about the same to me.

8mp on a compact point and shoot will not look as good on an 8mp Canon 20D for example.
Another important factor is the size of the sensor - the larger the better.
In certain circumstances you might even find that a DLSR with lower resolution will give a better (but smaller) image than a higher resolution compact.
The DLSR could have a better lens which also makes a huge difference.

All of the above points are right on. I would like to add that the more megapixels (data collected on th sensor) the camera can capture, the more you can crop the image post-pro without significant image quality loss. The same applies to enlargements.

I personally try really hard to compose my pictures to avoid cropping post-pro. I went from 3mp -> 6mp -> 8mp. At 3mp, I had issues with enlargements. At 8mp I find myself no longer "needing" a larger sensor even with 11x14 prints. The few times that I wish I had a larger sensor was because I wanted to crop post-pro.

One thing people forget to consider is the size of the image files you will be working. The greater the mp usually yeilds larger files. Sometimes people keep upgrading the camera but forget to invest in their computer.

Thanks everyone.

usayit, You're right about the cropping, and when shooting far and small objects it gets really important. In a waya large pixel number is like having a tele lense right? If you had unlimited spatial resolution you could always crop to get whatever you get with a strong tele lense.

Dani.

Most reactions

Back