Mentmore Grain Elevator

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This grain elevator (along with its elevator house) is the only remnant of the small town of Mentmore, Manitoba. It was built in 1928 and is still being used to store grains, even if the railroad tracks have been gone for 35 years.

For some historical detail on Mentmore, visit this: Who knows anything about Mentmore, MB. - Brandon, Manitoba Discussion

p1391947060-4.jpg

EDIT: New crop (suggested by BlackSheep) with blue cast removed (suggested by Rick50):

p1399917466-4.jpg

Last edited:
Love the blue & white duotone-ness of this image. And interesting history, too, it's almost spooky to imagine that a town used to be there but is no more.

One alternative suggestion - did you try a square crop, keeping only one side element (the bush or the pole)? Not sure if you can actually get a square crop from the full frame, but if you can it could be quite interesting.

PS Odd, based on this photo, I think we have more snow here in Toronto right now than you guys do. But I'm guessing it's still a bit warmer over here.

Besides the cropping it has a strong blue cast to it. Try adjusting the white balance and see what it looks like.

Agree with Rick..blue snow is very much akin to "yellow" snow and we all know how that comes about.

Besides the cropping it has a strong blue cast to it. Try adjusting the white balance and see what it looks like.
The blue was actually a conscious choice, but it looks like it doesn't have many fans here :) The cropped version below has the blue cast removed (I used Color Efex Pro's colour-cast removal tool in auto – some extra manual adjustments would've improved the job).

One alternative suggestion - did you try a square crop, keeping only one side element (the bush or the pole)? Not sure if you can actually get a square crop from the full frame, but if you can it could be quite interesting.
Great suggestion. A square aspect ratio did not work for me, but I've added a squarish version to the original post (also with the blue cast removed, as noted above). I like this new crop very much – the feeling of isolation that the original tried to convey is lost though.

PS Odd, based on this photo, I think we have more snow here in Toronto right now than you guys do. But I'm guessing it's still a bit warmer over here.
We've had two pretty heavy snowfalls here in Winnipeg, but the Mentmore area is a couple hours northwest of the Peg. I was surprised to find so little snow though.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back