Metering question

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Johnboy2978, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. Johnboy2978

    Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2004
    Messages:
    1,797
    Likes Received:
    30
    Location:
    Southwest Virginia
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My Pentax DS has 3 different metering options, and I think so far, it's life has consisted of just the multi-segment metering in which it measures each of the 16 sections of the frame and determines the appropriate exposure. Can someone give me an example as to when I should use it's other options optimally? The other options are center weighted and spot metering.

    Thanks
     
  2. Rob

    Rob TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2005
    Messages:
    6,217
    Likes Received:
    134
    Location:
    London
    It depends on your subject - spot metering uses about 5% of the frame (the middle bit). This is the next best thing for getting an exposure reading off an item to using a dedicated light meter. An example of where you might use this could be a white stone statue with details - a general exposure might over blow it and lose the detail.

    Centre weighted average metering is the same, but it includes a circle representing the middle 20% of the frame. This is then balanced for exposure about 50/50 with the other 80% of the frame. Therefore, if you're taking a picture of a person against a background, this might be the best option.

    All cameras vary slightly in their calculation formulae and exact numbering, but the examples I've given should be vaguely accurate!

    Rob
     
  3. ksmattfish

    ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2003
    Messages:
    7,021
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Lawrence, KS
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The spot meter might come in handy if you were photographing a brightly back lit subject such as someone in front of a window in a dark room, or outside with their back to the sun. Set on a mode that measures the entire frame, the meter will recommend an exposure that will underexpose because of the bright background. Using the spot to meter only the person would result in a better exposed subject.
     

Share This Page