metz or canon flash?

Skyeg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i am trying to decide between a 550ex and a metz 54MZ-4 with a canon foot. the mets has ettl as well as regular old auto and will work with any camera with a hot shoe, the canon has wirless built into it and is a canon(good or bad that i dont know)

the reviews for both are good, iv seen one negative for the canon no negative for the metz, but id like some real people's opinions, not just sales people(who always tell me to buy what they happen to have more of) so what do you think?

thanks
-skye

Both are really nice flashes. Are you buying the flash for something specific? And do you know the guide numbers for the two? If you are just getting a flash for general use, I would opt for the Canon. That way, if any work has to be done, no questions should come up as to the equipment compatibilty.

What about the Canon 580 EX? It is a little more suited to the 20D than the 550...and it's more powerful, smaller and has the latest technology. I don't know much about Metz flashes but I've always heard they are workhorses. I don't know if you will be able to use features like E-TTL II with that on your camera though.

i use a 20D and a 300D, ettl2 would be nice on the 20D, but do you think its worth the extra $100? i havnt had much of a chance to use ettl or ettl2 (i switched from nikon) and iv heard a lot of people dont really like it for anything but fill, iv read that it tends to underexpose, which is why im thinking about the metz.

I read an article or thread the other day that was discussing the under & over exposure issues with Canon digital SLRs. It seems that one camera/flash combination will consistently over expose while another combination will consistently under expose. Most people said that it was not an issue at all with the EOS film cameras. As long as you figure out what you are getting, it's easy to set the FEC.

I have also heard that some people don't like Canon's TTL because it can give inconsistent results...of course some people love it.

I don't have a Speedlight so I don't know what it would be like on my 20D. I have a Braun flash unit and I keep the camera in Manual. If that's what you want to do, the Metz may be a great option.

As far as the 550 vs the 580...there are quite a few upgrades. Faster recycle times, it also takes the 1.6 crop factor into account, which will save some power. It may be worth an extra $100 over the 550 but they are both still fairly expensive.

I've read that there is a new Sigma flash that is almost fully compatible with EOS digital and about half the price of a 580. Maybe check that out.

I've got several Metz flashguns - including their big muttha - and I've had one of them for 25 years (I can still get spares for it!). I used it professionally so it took a real pounding.
I'd go with the Metz. But it's your choice.

For your question, I'd say go with canon 550/580. You'll be able to do more and the price difference is not that great.

But I'd pick a big metz over 580 any day.

what can be done with the canon 550 or 580 that cant with the metz?

I'm sorry, I had a brain fart.

Please disregard my above post. For some reason I was thinking of quantum instead of the metz.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back