Michigan - the baby not the state!

twocolor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.twocolorphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's baby michigan. I'm playing with some skin softening technics I learned from a photoshop workshop. My husband and I are split. I love em. He not so much. Let me know what you think!
2532672808_7d4bf0154b.jpg

2531858757_49d09410e2.jpg

2531858649_4080ee9e65.jpg

2532672374_a3b616c4c1.jpg

2531858387_83fef6d4b5.jpg

2531858243_41d2f7cf1b.jpg

2531858095_d2e0f518b9.jpg

2531857919_e8e8e8a0e0.jpg

Complete honesty.. I don't think they are excellent.

In 1- not focused to the camera- the parents look great and the exposure is great.. but it just looks like you missed the shot, unfortunetly. Otherwise, this would be the best of this series

2 and 3 are my least favorites. I dunno if it was a lighting problem or a PP effect that was taken too far.. but they look too overexposed, too soft, too "bright".

4 is better, for me.

5 there is cutting off of limbs and kinda weird expression (to me.. might be very cute for the parents though)

6 and 7 with the lack of attention to the camera again.

8 is great, my fave of this series.

Do you do anything specific to get the babys attention? I know some shots work with the baby looking off, but looking down is another thing. It looks like a lack of trying on your part (though it probably is the farthest from the truth!) Do you have a rattle or loud noise maker of somesort? Usually required for that age group cuz otherwise, they could care less about the camera!

well...1. Looks over exposed and pretty yellow on my end. And the back being blown like it is, is rather distracting for my eyes.

I like your creativity for the baby shots but the back just looks blown not high key which is what I think you were going for. But good starts!

well...1. Looks over exposed and pretty yellow on my end. And the back being blown like it is, is rather distracting for my eyes.

I like your creativity for the baby shots but the back just looks blown not high key which is what I think you were going for. But good starts!

Actually, I purposely blew the back on these. I've done this a few times before. The clients saw this in my portfolio, and asked for it.

So, what do I do to get this look without it being "wrong"? Is there another way of setting my lights? Currently I've got two lights aimed directly at my backdrop and a softer fill light coming in from directly behind me.

I honestly enjoyed how these turned out, but am beginning to doubt my self. I'm open to tips and tricks to make the scenario work better.

Complete honesty.. I don't think they are excellent.

In 1- not focused to the camera- the parents look great and the exposure is great.. but it just looks like you missed the shot, unfortunetly. Otherwise, this would be the best of this series

2 and 3 are my least favorites. I dunno if it was a lighting problem or a PP effect that was taken too far.. but they look too overexposed, too soft, too "bright".

4 is better, for me.

5 there is cutting off of limbs and kinda weird expression (to me.. might be very cute for the parents though)

6 and 7 with the lack of attention to the camera again.

8 is great, my fave of this series.

Do you do anything specific to get the babys attention? I know some shots work with the baby looking off, but looking down is another thing. It looks like a lack of trying on your part (though it probably is the farthest from the truth!) Do you have a rattle or loud noise maker of somesort? Usually required for that age group cuz otherwise, they could care less about the camera!

Don't you ever just have a baby who doesn't do exactly what their supposed to do? lol Well, I tell parents that a baby will be happy for pics on average of 30 minutes. Grandma came with mom and baby to this shoot, and dropped baby. The poor little guy was scared of the environment, the lights, ME from that point on. So, in order to avoid tears, there almost always had to be something keeping him entertained in his hands. Well, if there's something in baby's hands, that's where baby's eyes are going to be. Sometimes, we chopped some hands to avoid the toy that was in them. One of the hardest shoots for baby that I've done. Mom and grandma each stood at opposite sides of me calling out to him. I asked them to stand directly behind me, and they would for all of five minutes then they'd be right there on opposite sides again. Impossible:grumpy:

Don't you ever just have a baby who doesn't do exactly what their supposed to do? lol Well, I tell parents that a baby will be happy for pics on average of 30 minutes. Grandma came with mom and baby to this shoot, and dropped baby. The poor little guy was scared of the environment, the lights, ME from that point on. So, in order to avoid tears, there almost always had to be something keeping him entertained in his hands. Well, if there's something in baby's hands, that's where baby's eyes are going to be. Sometimes, we chopped some hands to avoid the toy that was in them. One of the hardest shoots for baby that I've done. Mom and grandma each stood at opposite sides of me calling out to him. I asked them to stand directly behind me, and they would for all of five minutes then they'd be right there on opposite sides again. Impossible:grumpy:

I understand, trust me I do :hug:: That age is super hard. The thing w/having mom or you or grandma just calling for him is it only works a couple times and they can't be trusted. Try a few different techniques in rotation.
Try a feather duster (clean obviously) and run in over his face and then lift it right up over his head so that his eyes follow it, he giggles, you snap the picture
You can use like a plush toy for that technique also.
Don't force any kid into being "unscared"... take the time to hold them, giggle with them, bond with them so the feeling is a natural happy, not a forced happy.
Use a noisemaker above your head to get immediate eye attention if you need to snap a FAST one.. like your first picture. Even if he hadn't been smiling, at LEAST you would have the eye contact.

ANd lastly, I say if he NEEDS something in his hand, then its a fine compromise if everything else is otehrwise outstanding.

Actually, I purposely blew the back on these. I've done this a few times before. The clients saw this in my portfolio, and asked for it.
Were you trying to achieve blown background highlights or high-key lighting? In case it's the latter I am PM'ing you two links that might help.

As for the outdoor shots, might have considered using a tripod, expose as you did and then expose for the background after the subjects were out of frame merging the two in post.

Most reactions

Back