Millie - a saxy blast from the past.

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by tonymp, Mar 12, 2009.

1. tonymp

tonymp TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi guys,
    last week a lovely model called Millie ( aged 31 ) popped over to help me with some new boudoir poses which I was working on - in return she wanted a couple of regular portraits of her and her sax so, a good deal on both sides.
    Now I first started out in photography with a Rollieflex 6 x 6 2.8f shooting promo shots for pro entertainers back in the mid-late 70's when I was a pro singer myself and, as it was a while since I did that sort of work, I thought I'd try my hand at it once more and relive my past LOL.

Rather than shoot static portrait style poses of Millie holding her sax, I wanted to give the shots the feeling of a live performance and emulate stage lighting with a three light setup with her moving around inside the lighting triangle actually playing her sax in the ever changing light. I shot 5 primers mainly just to see how the lighting worked. After we viewed them on screen, she was delighted with the results as they were, without any re-takes. That was it!!! Less than about 5 minutes work! It's got to be the easiest shoot I've done in months!

The boudoir test pose shots came out well too and she's coming back in just over a week to shoot again with me - now that's something to look forward to!
    Just to say, I couldn't decide whether or not to take out the hot spots on the shots - genuine stage lighting often produces these and it often gives authenticity to the shots - opinions welcomed!
    Regards...
    Tony

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wonder if she realizes she's got the mouthpiece on upside down. Seriously, the reed goes on the bottom. And her right hand isn't on the correct keys.

Nice lighting though.

3. tonymp

tonymp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I DIDN'T say how well she knew how to play it LOL!!!!!
    I just took the shots - I'm not a sax expert and come to think of it, she definitely looked better than she played! LOL

4. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It undermines the authenticity of the shot the lights give, though. I mean, one can forgive the hands in the wrong position, but the mouthpiece upside down? "Hey I'm on stage and making sounds like a wounded duck!":lol:

5. tonymp

tonymp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So does the lighting pass? It's been a while since I've done that style of shot! As long as the lighting looks reasonably authentic and the pose is acceptable, then I did what I set out to do! I can always re-shoot when she comes back.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  6. bjorkfiend

bjorkfiend TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  7. tonymp

tonymp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for that - I too prefer the first shot and I actually originally edited the shot to a darker level and less warm than this which I think would be more in keeping with what you are saying. However, I've only recently got a new monitor and I've not quite got it spot on so am a bit conservative with my edits LOL.
    I used an old technique for emulating the stage lighting from back in those days when the only media was film in it's various guises. It's good to see that some things don't change so much!
    Thanks again for your comments...
    Tony

8. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Yeah... that's a biggie. I doubt she could make ANY sound with the reed up. You say she was "actually playing her sax in the ever changing light." Really?

-Pete

9. tonymp

tonymp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well she wasn't exactly auditioning for American Idol - was she?
    My job was to get the shots - not judge her on her musical ability or merit! After all, I'm not Simon Cowell - All I asked her to do was blow the thing while I tried out a few shots!
    Hmmmmm....come to think of it, maybe next time I should just shoot her holding her sax on her knee in the ubiquiteous static pose with regular lighting, just so that EVERYTHING 'looks' authentic.

10. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

No need for sarcasm. I get your point.

You seem to be missing mine. I'm simply saying this girl is not making a sound with that thing.

No, you're not. After all.... what's his catch phrase?....

-Pete

11. timethief

timethief TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    so if she had the shirt upside down it would also be ok ?
    or if she was blowing on the wide opposite end of the sax?
    arent those elements considered part of the composition ?

i think lighting is "overshadowed" by the minor mistakes in this image. IMHO.

12. tonymp

tonymp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Gosh I hadn't realised that you could hear the photograph too!!! Nothing gets past you, does it?