MINOLTA X-700 Troubleshoot

CG Houssem

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey Guys, I am a new member in this beautiful Forum and I want to ask you a question about my MINOLTA X-700. :icon_camera:
Well,
1st - The Film-advance lever don't want to fully turn. I mean I can't go to the next frame.
2nd - The Operation Button won't take the shoot. I mean when I press it. It just don't take the shot.
3rd - The Frame counter is set to S. (I want to know what that means ?)
Sans_titre.png
Here is a video that you may get what I wanted to say :D

This was CG Houssem (Houssem Ben Mabrouk) and I am sorry for my bad english ;)
and Thanks.

Last edited:
Electronic problems are common on all the X-series Minolta models. Since these cameras are electronically based, they will not function at all if the circuitry needs repair.

You can try cleaning out the battery compartment with alcohol and inserting fresh batteries. If this does not correct the problem then the camera needs repair.

Since this repair is not easily done by a user and since repair would cost more than finding another body, the best solution is to simply find another body that works. They are very inexpensive these days.

The "S" on the frame counter always appears when there is no film in the camera. When a new roll of film is loaded and the film is advanced to the first frame the "S" changes to a "1" which means you can start shooting.

I've owned 3 over the last 5 years and all of them died. It's an electronic issue that many X-700 bodies suffered from. Here's the DIY repair procedure:

Minolta X-700

As mentioned above, they're cheap now. Probably easier to get another one.

1st - The Film-advance lever don't want to fully turn. I mean I can't go to the next frame.
2nd - The Operation Button won't take the shoot. I mean when I press it. It just don't take the shot.
If you have NO FILM in the camera, I think you cannot cock the shutter.

If there is no film, open the back and move the film advance mechanism manually.

Then try it.​

Electronic problems are common on all the X-series Minolta models. Since these cameras are electronically based, they will not function at all if the circuitry needs repair.

You can try cleaning out the battery compartment with alcohol and inserting fresh batteries. If this does not correct the problem then the camera needs repair.

Since this repair is not easily done by a user and since repair would cost more than finding another body, the best solution is to simply find another body that works. They are very inexpensive these days.

The "S" on the frame counter always appears when there is no film in the camera. When a new roll of film is loaded and the film is advanced to the first frame the "S" changes to a "1" which means you can start shooting.
Thanks for your quick response but I didn't understand one thing, it's the BODY ?? Can you be more clearer because I am not even an Amature in this domain so :/

Last edited:
I've owned 3 over the last 5 years and all of them died. It's an electronic issue that many X-700 bodies suffered from. Here's the DIY repair procedure:

Minolta X-700

As mentioned above, they're cheap now. Probably easier to get another one.
The problem is that I live in Tunisia and I fixed it here but it takes 2 shots and it blocks again. So I maybe need to repair it in where it was made I mean in Minolta Factory

If you have NO FILM in the camera, I think you cannot cock the shutter.

If there is no film, open the back and move the film advance mechanism manually.

Then try it.​
Emmm What's the point of moving the film advance mechanism and we have no film in the camera !

It could be a bad capacitor, which is incredibly common on these bodies.

It could be a bad capacitor, which is incredibly common on these bodies.
What is the capacitor ? I am so sorry as I said above I have a weak english and I am an amature in this domain ...

A capacitor is like a little battery that stores a charge to assist the battery in something, like opening the shutter. It sounds like your capacitor completely discharges after two shots, then locks. That's why I think it's the capacitor. You would need to remove the bottom plate and do a little soldering in order to fix it, but the good news is you can buy capacitors in packs of 10 or so for $10-$20 US.

A capacitor is like a little battery that stores a charge to assist the battery in something, like opening the shutter. It sounds like your capacitor completely discharges after two shots, then locks. That's why I think it's the capacitor. You would need to remove the bottom plate and do a little soldering in order to fix it, but the good news is you can buy capacitors in packs of 10 or so for $10-$20 US.

Thanks, great I have some hope that it will come alive again hahahahah :1219:

Yes, it's bad capacitors. And no, they're not so easy to fix. The top cover of the camera is not easy to remove without special tools. The camera isn't working because of broken electronic parts. This is a problem with the X700. The camera depends on electronics to operate. When these fail, the camera doesn't work. I would look for a new camera.

I thought the capacitor in question was on the bottom, not under the top plate....?

I thought the capacitor in question was on the bottom, not under the top plate....?

There are 2 of them that often fail on the X700. One on top and the other on the bottom.

In any case it's not a repair for newbies who don't know what a capacitor is to attempt. :)

Thanks for your quick response but I didn't understand one thing, it's the BODY ?? Can you be more clearer because I am not even an Amature in this domain so :/

Yes, it's the body.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back