Minolta X700 vs Pentax Super Program

panocho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm planning to treat myself a manual focus camera, and these are my main options:

-Minolta X700, which I somehow "know", since I had a X300. The X700 is supposed to be an upgrade of that, and seems to be regarded as one of the best in its category.

-Pentax Super Program. I didn't know this one, but found some reviews of it that made it quite attractive. It seems to offer more or less the same as the X700, and looks ok... but, again, this one is new for me.

-Nikon FG. I include this among the options, although the usual prices of Nikons will probably make me forget about it... or not?

C'mon, let's listen to your comments on these. Or maybe do you have other options? should I save for a Canon A-1 or does it give more problems than pleasures? And what about the lenses? which one of these would you recommend most?

I'd appreciate comments on this. I´m sure many others will too!
Thanks!

Get the minolta.

Nikons are likely to have had much harder use.

And Pentaxes were (once upon a time) quite tinny and fragile seeming.

You know the X300, so if you remember being happy with that, get a camera you are familiar with.

I bought an X300 (and a black X300s) off ebay and it fitted into my hands as though I had been using it for years.

I have always felt that Nikon were No1, Canon were No2, and Minolta were No3.

Ok , that might bias you towards a Nikon - but have you SEEN their prices, for everything, even second-hand? Nightmare.

Well, Minolta was initially my first option. Not only the experience of the x300, but also all the great things I've heard and read about the x700 (it seems seems to be the best on its category!?). But then... first I saw that Pentax, and seemed good; now I probably will think it twice; and the Nikon, well, I found a really inexpensive AF, and very nice. I'm really happy with it. They normally are more expensive, but the x700 is not cheap either. But again, I'm almost decided for the Minolta.
Then there's the Canon A1, which is like a step further and might me worth more money, but I've read so many things about their famous squeak...!
thanks for your comments

Most reactions

Back