Minumum operating temperature

davis10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just got a new canon 20D. I want to start tacking some skiing shots and some snowscapes, but my minumum operating temperature is 10 degrees Celscius? What should I be worried about operating below this temperature. Are there any accessories I can buy to keep my camera nice and warm?

Your own body? Carrying it very close to you, under the anorak, only getting it out for a photo and then back into its warm(ed by you) place? And - this is what I read on this very forum in other discussions, too - carry the replacement batteries in your trouser pockets, close to you, to also keep those warm so they don't drain by the cold only. I also read about mittens to wear (under a pair of thick, warming ones) that have nothing where your fingertips are so you can feel the controls. But you would also only let your hands out for as long as you would let the camera out.

OK, this is all things I have read on here before, others might be able to give you much better advice. Or you might want to browse the forums for the information ... there has been a similar question going on only a couple of days ago ... :scratch: ... use the "Search" function for it, maybe?

The listed operating temp is just something they put in the manual to cover their buts. I've used my 20D in conditions colder than -20 Celsius. The only problem being that the batteries will die fast, so bring spares and keep them warm.

You don't want to let it get too cold though, the lubricant will get think and the LCD screen may freeze.

The biggest concern should be condensation, when you bring the camera back into warm moist air. If the camera is cold, condensation will form inside and outside of the camera. What you need to do, it to keep it isolated and let it warm up gradually. If you place it into a zip-lock back, while still in the cold...that will help. Even if you just keep it zipped up in a camera bag...and give it at least 30 minutes to warm up...it should be OK. I also keep little bags of silica gel in my camera bag...to absorb extra moisture.

I too have used my cameras in colder then -20 Celsius...the trick is having lots of batteries and keeping them in warm pocket inside your coat. I tuck the camera inside my coat between uses and as mike said...i use the silica bags and gradually warm it back up to avoid condensation. Its rarely any fun taking photos when its that cold so I avoid it when possible.

Most reactions

Back