Mom photographers

Vegemite... you gave away the fact you're an Aussie! In America we put peanut butter and jelly on toast. I don't know if that's the same.

I put down little kids a lot because I say they're little unappreciative brats 90% of the time, and enjoyable 10% of the time. But that's not true. I've never had problems with my nephews when I hang out with them (at most, I have to tell them to play nicely). But the point of my post is this: I am almost envious of what you just described. To have the patience and awareness it takes to balance all of this is truly amazing. If I had kids, I'd end up quitting photography cause I couldn't keep up, but you do it all! That's very cool.

Yes the vegemite does sorta give away the location a bit :D I actually can't imagine peanut butter and jelly (i gather thats jam) together, though vegemite's sorta an acquired taste also ;)

Yes, us mothers do need to have a lot of patience and being able to multi-task well is a really needed asset also I think :)

It is hard. There are only a few places here to go and the kids don't want to wait for me to take my pictures. We have yet to try many of the museums around (that can get expensive if doing it all the time). Sometimes we go downtown but there are only a few areas there that would be considered safe for a tiny woman to be with kids or camera gear.

One of these days I'll get my conceal-carry permit and I will be able to go anywhere I please...

My youngest starts first grade in the fall (all day now...YAY!) Unfortunately, I'll be in class 3 days a week as well. I have two weekdays where I won't be in class and one of the first things I'm going to do when school starts is go to the zoo ALONE!

Now, now, Mindy, there is no need to start packing heat. That is all we need- pistol toting moms running around everywhere. :lol::lol::lol:

Now, now, Mindy, there is no need to start packing heat. That is all we need- pistol toting moms running around everywhere. :lol::lol::lol:

As a Canadian, I can't get my mind around the concept of anyone carrying a gun.

skieur

As a Canadian, I can't get my mind around the concept of anyone carrying a gun.

skieur

Skieur, you ought to come on down here to Texas. Guns are everywhere. I was in a store the other day, standing at the check out line, when a little old lady was going through her purse looking for money, and a handgun fell out of her purse. Scared the living crap out of everyone. It hit the floor and luckily it did not go off. She just picked it up and put it back in her purse. She said she had a permit to carry, and went on her way.

I cant imagine people carrying guns either, esp moms. But alot of my friend have them (I am in texas), but I am pretty sure none of them tote them in their diaper bags LOL

Hound - calling kids brats isnt nice :p I think Dads have an easier time doing photography with kids. Kids (at least mine) are really programed to be close to me, come to me when they have trouble and want me to comfort them when they are upset. It isnt that Daddy is not loved, but the kids and I spend 24/7 together and we are just very bonded. So getting photos of them is really hard cause they are so close all the time, and shooting other things is hard because I have to keep an eye on them and they are so tuned into me, that I cant get a moment. I think its easier for dads...although dads feel free to correct me if I am not correct.

Skieur, you ought to come on down here to Texas. Guns are everywhere. I was in a store the other day, standing at the check out line, when a little old lady was going through her purse looking for money, and a handgun fell out of her purse. Scared the living crap out of everyone. It hit the floor and luckily it did not go off. She just picked it up and put it back in her purse. She said she had a permit to carry, and went on her way.

You can't carry handguns here unless your a policeman or security (with a license) which I think is a good idea, mainly due to the accidents that can happen etc. I read on a paper site here this week i think about some little girl in the US who found a gun in her grandmothers bag which was in the trolley while they were shopping (grandma had a license to carry it) and shot herself, They said she was critical at the time of the article being written :(

I always carry my GLock. :) ESPECIALLY downtown. I seriously think that last time I was down there doing a shoot, I would have gotten mugged. I'm very very very glad I had my weapon on me.

I think its easier for dads...although dads feel free to correct me if I am not correct.
Slightly wrong. Yes to everything you've said there about yourself and your kids. It's the same with my wife and my kids. But when we get home from work, at least for me, I am attacked! See, Mom is the nurturer and the comforter as well as the source of food. Me? I'm the jungle gym and the play toy. It's not until around 9 pm after the kids are in bed for the night that I have time to myself. And at that point, it's a - dark outside to do anything, and b - pretty darn close to bedtime for me as well.

You do get a bit more time to "sneak away" as a dad, but not much more, at least for me. Heck, I'm on vacation this week, so there is no leaving for work. I still haven't gotten anything done that I want to do. As soon as I'm going to do something, they are yelling at me, "come jump in the pool!" Once I jump in the pool, they swarm me like piranhas and don't let me back out :D. Especially the 4 year old, she's a feisty one.

I am a mom of a 9 and 5 year old and feel I am just getting some time back for myself now. It is much easier at this age to take them along for a photo trip and not have to worry about them running off or at least I can set them up with something to amuse themselves with while I take a few shots. Also it's easier now for me to leave them with dad for a few hours if I want to go out by myself or we pack up the whole family and go.
Though when we first started with children, DH and I were both shooting film and processing it ourselves. Once the first was born we packed up our darkroom because there was just no time for it anymore. Now that there is time, I'm into digital now. I want my DH to get back into photography as well because he's so good at it. We actually met in a photography class in college!
Anyway, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. I am working part time and my youngest is about to enter kindergarten, which is only 2 days a week and will work on those days, but once he's in grade 1? I see freedom for me and it will be all about photography.

I always carry my GLock. :) ESPECIALLY downtown. I seriously think that last time I was down there doing a shoot, I would have gotten mugged. I'm very very very glad I had my weapon on me.

You're in Tulsa, aren't you? I avoid most areas of downtown OKC. Usually when I'm there I stick around the Crystal Bridge or wander around the business district. There are a few homeless people there but they've never bothered me in that area. It's closer to the City Rescue Mission (the southwestern area of downtown) that I've had problems (see below).

Dh has been after me for a while now to get my concealed/carry permit. I'm tiny (5'2", and less than 100 lb) and that tends to draw crazies sometimes (probably because I look like I can be pushed around). I've found myself in sticky situations a few times and wished I was already carrying. Once I was paying my water bill downtown and a guy came begging for money. Even after I gave him all the change I had in my car he continued to harass me, even touching my hair and trying to kiss me. No one ran him off for me (I was in my car, stuck in a line so I couldn't just leave). Another time I was practically assaulted for money while stuck in a McDonald's drive thru. Again, no one helped (and again, I was stuck between cars).

I would just like the freedom to be able to go where I want without having to worry about getting raped or murdered. I'm certainly not stupid enough to keep a loaded gun lying lying around in my purse. (And I haven't carried a diaper bag in years :)). My kids are 9 and 6.

if you are tiny, couldnt the gun be taken out of your hands and used against you or someone else?

I had no idea oklahoma was so ghetto :p

if you are tiny, couldnt the gun be taken out of your hands and used against you or someone else?

I had no idea oklahoma was so ghetto :p

Yes and no. By law, you can shoot someone threatening your life from 12 feet away. Of course, for it to be self-defense, there has to be a REAL threat; not just someone looking at you funny.

OKC is a much bigger and more urban than many people realize. Not to mention that the OCPD (and the courts) are more inept than not in many cases. We used to live in a ghetto neighborhood on the south side and a neighbor told me that it once took the cops 45 minutes to respond to a stabbing. I've also been involved in 2 hit-and-runs (they hit me, not the other way around) where the cops did NOTHING. :er:

My husband was recently suggesting I get a carry permit. He said he'd feel better about the kids and I running around in gator infested lands on our nature hikes.

OP, to answer your questions:
What are the best and worst things about being into photography and being a mom?
Three adorable kids who are always up to something. (This is the best and worst-if I am getting pics of one, what *are* the other two doings?!)

How do you get in time to shoot?
So far, I just do it when they are with me. I hope to work out some sort of "me" time this summer while we still have a sitter nearby. This fall? Our sitter will be off at school. We homeschool, so no back to school play time for this mommy.

Do you use different cameras when you are seriously shooting verses when just getting snaps of your kids?
I have a few cameras, but I am intent on carrying the D40 most places. It has a lovely backpack case to travel in and I want to make sure I can play whenever possible. My son may inherit my small p&s, with his going to his yr old sis. The two yr old can use the old fisher-price 35mm. :) I think hubby will use the Canon S5 on biz trips. (With some arm twisting from me- he is not into photography much, but he gets to/has to take some remarkable trips IMO. Maybe I just need to get out more LOL!)

I went on 1 photo shoot on Monday with my son in tow. Have another on Thursday that he will be joining also. I posted the ones from Monday already.. he was really good and not a problem at all :) While I portfolio build, I am asking that since I'm working for free that they put up with my kid. I've had fine responces, and many have told me they don't care at all and that they would be happy to have him there :)

I think I remember that first thread, Emerana.

Just wanted to say again, great for all you stay-at-home moms. I don't even know why that term really needs to be in existance. You are doing your duty as a mother in raising your children.

Nope, I'm not a mom, but I'm on the other end. My wife stays at home. I know how difficult it can be in the wallet. I have a 4 year old that is absolutely photogenic, and a 7 yr old who tells me, "put the stupid camera away, Dad..." Both girls.

The reason I think the moms who stay home are great is because the children get so much more from that. That is why my wife stays home. My 7 yr old brought home straight A's through her entire 1st grade. I believe it is the result of my wife staying home and taking care of the kids.

After the story in yesterday's paper, I would definitely not put my kids in daycare. A young lady holding a daycare of 6 children in her home, turned her back for mere minutes to change a diaper. When she turned around, a 10 month old was lying on the floor unresponsive. One of the 7 year olds admitted that she picked up the 10 month old and threw her on the basement cement floor two times. The baby was pronounced dead on the way to the hospital.

So, great job to all you mothers out there who are doing the right thing by actually being a mother to your children rather than shipping them off somewhere else. I know that sometimes daycare can't be helped, but 99% of the families I know, send off their kids to daycare all day so that they can afford all the boats, 4wheelers, SUVs, etc. I guess that material things are more important than the child they have brought into this world for many out there.

I just want to add to this one kudos to all moms not just the stay at home moms. Being a parent period is hard no matter if you work or not. But My DH and I both work and I have a child that passed 1st grade with strait A's in the gifted program (Advanced 3rd grade level) . And I do not shove my kids off on anyone else. My MIL or brother watches them but if I did not have any family here they would have to be in a daycare. Now I would make sure it is not a deathtrap to the best I could but no matter were your kids are there is danger. The other kids are usually the biggest danger. I once heard a radio story that said not only are parents here to raise them but we are here to stop them from killing themselves. If you put a child in a room with a pile of harmless kids toys , a shelf of unicorns or a old nail gun unplugged in the corner the first thing they would go to is the nail gun and some how injure themselves with it or find a way to impale themselves on the unicorns. :lmao: This is so true. :lmao: And we do not both work to buy boats or any fancy toys. We work so WE can feed them and provide a home for them. Now we try to have them at a sitter as little as possible Dh works more than I do and we do drive separately sometime in case one of us gets out early. (This costs us more) But we do work the same hours when both of us work so that is less time at a sitters. We both work but we have it arranged so if we are at work we work pretty much the same day / hours. And I have to say anything whether it is photography or any hobby / Work like this is not easy. My Dh is very active with my kids and they cling to him as much or sometime more than me. All N All is it hard job to be a parent no matter if you are home or not.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back