limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not sure if this should go in Discussions or Graphics Programs, so mods, feel free to move it if appropriate.

So, I got a Colormunki Smile to calibrate my laptop monitor. I went through the process and ended up with a sort of sepia tone to everything. Blacks seem dark brown and whites seem kind of light tan. Ecru, if you will.

Is this normal or did something go wrong? I tried recalibrating twice, and both times the software said there was an error and I should make sure the doohickey was in the right place and try again. It was, by the way, in the right place and flat against the screen.

Okay, just tried it one more time, lights off, shades closed...and once again there is an error.

Did I...
a) do something wrong?
b) get a crappy product?
c) not realize that this is what a calibrated monitor looks like?

Should I...
a) recover to a previous point to return the monitor to its prior state?
b) uninstall and then reinstall?
c) keep beating the dead horse and try again and again until there's no error message?
d) wait until tomorrow and try again?
e) return the product and get a different one?
f) shut the hell up and stop making these multiple choice questions?

Granted, this sepia-ish monitor is easier on the eyes, but it just looks weird and I'm not sure if I'm just so used to the uncalibrated look or if something went wrong.

Screen shot (if it helps - not sure if it shows the tone I'm talking about because of course on my monitor, it all looks toned!):
upload_2014-12-27_12-18-9.png

Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to post a reply when someone's screen shot includes the reply box???? :irked:

First and foremost, have you asked Mr. Google if anyone else is having this issue? Is there an an actual error message or error number that you can search, and/or talk to Colormunki support about? Did the software appear to install correctly? Are you running a fully updated OS with the latest video drivers?

As to the actual calibration, comparing the colour values in your screen capture to those from my display (calibrated but expired), they appear very close; within an acceptable margin I would say, and they look correct on my display. Can you post a side-by-side screenshot of calibrated and uncalibrated?

I usually take off my sunglasses first.:D

Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to post a reply when someone's screen shot includes the reply box???? :irked:

First and foremost, have you asked Mr. Google if anyone else is having this issue? Is there an an actual error message or error number that you can search, and/or talk to Colormunki support about? Did the software appear to install correctly? Are you running a fully updated OS with the latest video drivers?

As to the actual calibration, comparing the colour values in your screen capture to those from my display (calibrated but expired), they appear very close; within an acceptable margin I would say, and they look correct on my display. Can you post a side-by-side screenshot of calibrated and uncalibrated?

I did start checking if others have had this problem and there are people that complain of the very warm tone that this product gave. What's still not yet clear is if that's how it's supposed to look. I'm still sorting through some search results and am looking for more information. Just figured I'd also check here as part of my research.

There's no specific error message - just a big yellow triangle with the exclamation point and a message that says, "There has been an error. Make sure the thingy is in the correct position and try again." Okay, it didn't say "thingy" but otherwise, that's pretty much all the info I got.

The software seemed to install fine. The only thing was the first time I ran it, it actually stopped running. I quit the program and re-started and the second time it worked, and that's when I got the sepia tone. Every time I have tried after that, I've gotten the error.

This laptop is new - I got it earlier this year when my old one crapped out, so I assume all my drivers are up to date. I'm running Windows 7 (which is what came installed on the computer.)

Side by side screenshots? Hmmm, let me try this.
The one above....and one I took for a student a few weeks ago when she was having trouble seeing her assignment feedback: (edit: removed)
upload_2014-12-27_12-18-9-png.91904

Last edited:
FWIW: the colors in the photos look exactly the same going from your screenshot to my screen. So what does that prove?

Also FYI: I "calibrated" my display by taking a picture of some flowers (some months ago) and compared the images I saw on the screen with the actual flowers.

I think the first time you see the screen differently it is quite a shock, so maybe just let it sink in for a few days.

FWIW: those screenshots look good (normal colors) to me.

Kidding aside, Leonore, I think you'll have to schlepp your laptop over to someone who has a reasonably-calibrated monitor and see. Who do you know locally who could do this?

Kidding aside, Leonore, I think you'll have to schlepp your laptop over to someone who has a reasonably-calibrated monitor and see. Who do you know locally who could do this?

I suppose I could bring it to school. There extension site closest to my house, actually, is where a lot of their digital and graphic arts classes are taught, so they might have someone knowledgeable about such things. Can't do it for another 3 weeks or so, though, since school is not in session. I think in the meantime, I might set this back to factory defaults. I'll give it a day or so to see if I get used to it, I guess, but I can't shake the feeling that something isn't quite right.

Meh, I should just stick to black and white. Color messes with me, man! :boggled:

Why not put a personal ad on Craigslist? "Looking for user with calibrated laptop monitor. If interested, email me the particulars of your equipment and software used. Not interested in long-term relationship. Meeting place open to negotiation. However, will bring donuts." Of course, use a throw-away email and don't open any attachments. And if/when you find someone, bring Buzz. :cool: (oh God, I'm sounding like a parent)

If white looks ecru that doesn't sound right, mine looks as white as an envelope, a tissue, paper (just looking at what's sitting around). Just read this thread thinking I might learn something so I can't offer any suggestions other than go find a kid, I ask my nephew about these things.

Or go take a Polaroid, you'll feel better.

Actually a calibrated monitor will help you a lot in monochrome processing too! As for the screen shots, they really need to be of the same thing (so that RGB values can be compared). Do a screen capture of something with the calibrated profile, and then disable it and repeat the shot. I really think you're just seeing how far out of whack your monitor was. BTW... is the brightness up full and are you viewing it at the correct angle?

Actually a calibrated monitor will help you a lot in monochrome processing too! As for the screen shots, they really need to be of the same thing (so that RGB values can be compared). Do a screen capture of something with the calibrated profile, and then disable it and repeat the shot. I really think you're just seeing how far out of whack your monitor was. BTW... is the brightness up full and are you viewing it at the correct angle?

Okay, I've turned the brightness all the way up and I've taken new screen shots.

I restored the default settings and ran the calibrator again. This time it worked. Apparently the "error" is that running the software a second time detects the same settings and it's an "error"? Anyway...

Here's the "before"
upload_2014-12-27_14-49-4.png

And now the "After"
upload_2014-12-27_14-49-19.png

Weird...they both look the same when I paste the screenshot here.

Let's try two different ones.

Before:
upload_2014-12-27_14-50-30.png

After:
upload_2014-12-27_14-50-58.png

They still look the same to me when I paste them, though the screens themselves look very different.

Is there any noticeable difference to anyone else?

Huh!

I still can't get past the fact that the whites just don't look white and the blacks look brown.

This is all very strange to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back