Montgomery

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Trying to get up on Saturday mornings and go for photowalks. Trying to make it a habit even if it is winter and the weather isn't great. Well this morning was cold but the sun came out and made for a nice walk. There is a couple of the one I liked best.

1) Montgomery

Stockyard-downtown walk-84 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

2) Box mine up.

Stockyard-downtown walk-45 by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

Last edited:
There's just something about vintage signs that I find interesting. I have no idea why--I just find them interesting.

Ron, I admire your determination. I have the camera with me most of the time, but usually it is just a passenger as we drive from one appointment to another, from one assignment to another urgent task. To have the luxury of not having to be somewhere, and to be able to stop the car and to explore a photographic opportunity, is something that I savour when it occurs.

I love old signs. The type-faces are different, as are the phrases and key words. The iconography reflects a simpler time, with less doubt and less cynicism. The pitches are less polished, more earnest. The signs should be recorded before their disrepair condemns them to be torn down and replaced.

Thanks pgriz. I have decided that I'll get up on Saturday mornings before sunrise and take an hour or two and then go home and spend the day with the family. I too carry mine almost everywhere I go. Sadly, I don't always get it out either since I travel the same road 5 days a week. They are really building up some of the parts of downtown OKC, so I have been going out and walking around it the last two weekends. I figure that I can continue to go as the seasons change. Should be a fun year.

I love old signs too. There's a car dealer near me with a nice old neon Pontiac sign I always mean to get a shot of.

#1 has pleasing tones to it.

Yes, there is some good material in #3 - but you'll have to figure out how to tame the halos. Are you using Photoshop or something similar? If so, perhaps working with masks will help you get the right blending. I've just started to learn how to use these and they seem to greatly improve my ability to determine which parts of the pictures get which effect.

Yes, there is some good material in #3 - but you'll have to figure out how to tame the halos. Are you using Photoshop or something similar? If so, perhaps working with masks will help you get the right blending. I've just started to learn how to use these and they seem to greatly improve my ability to determine which parts of the pictures get which effect.

You are right. I went back in to work on it and lost the halo and I think I slightly changed some of the other processing. Better?

Old or New? by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

Nice, especially #2!
Agree with that, it is more interesting photo. Nice angle and perspective, just wish the DoF behind the sign was smaller. I think more softness over there would bring the sign forward and increase the feel of space. BG is quite busy, I would attempt to dodge it a bit, just to see, how this feels.

Last edited:
Yep...I can dig it. Very geometrical compositions. Lines, angles, patterns are where it's at brotha!! Perfect for B&W...I'd say that was a worthwhile walk.

Nice, especially #2!
Agree with that, it is more interesting photo. Nice angle and perspective, just wish the DoF behind the sign was smaller. I think more softness over there would bring the sign forward and increase the feel of space. BG is quite busy, I would attempt to dodge it a bit, just to see, how this feels.

Thanks timor. I can see your point on the background. I wasn't really thinking about that at the time. When I have been out walking, I have been setting the camera to AV and putting the Aperture on f/8. I'll be back down there soon and will try it again with a wider aperture.

Yep...I can dig it. Very geometrical compositions. Lines, angles, patterns are where it's at brotha!! Perfect for B&W...I'd say that was a worthwhile walk.

Thanks Charlie. Wow, don't recall seeing you around for a while. Thanks for commenting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back