Montgomery

Thanks timor. I can see your point on the background. I wasn't really thinking about that at the time. When I have been out walking, I have been setting the camera to AV and putting the Aperture on f/8. I'll be back down there soon and will try it again with a wider aperture.
:thumbup:
Walking around with the camera and taking shots is a good practice of scouting. If, off course, one can come back to this places. That enhances "photographic eye". :D

I live about 25 minutes from there and have been there the last two Saturday mornings walking different areas. The area there is big enough that you could walk different areas in different seasons and conditions and get lots of good stuff.

I have been going in the mornings before most people are up and around, I need to go back in the evening and stay into the night and bring a tripod.

Have a fun and good "hunting".

Nicely done Ron. I wish I could get back that drive. Digital has made me lazy

I wish I could get back that drive. Digital has made me lazy
^^^^This this, that that.^^
Only one way to go - back to film !:lol:

I was 12 (55 now) when I setup my first "darkroom". It was a corner of our basement closed off by some hanging tarps. Leaked light like a sieve...LOL All I could do was make 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 contact prints because I didn't have an enlarger. I could have used my dads permanent darkroom, but I wanted my own with my own equipment. Which came out of the permanent darkroom, of course :lol:
Enjoy it Ron. It can be a life long obsession

:lol: ya know... Before I went on my WOW Chew shoot, I warmed up a roll of the 120 BN400CN and found my new seal kit for my RB. I thought, meh, this is too much work, I'll just grab to ETRS. Dragged out the Bronica, blew off the dust and put in a fresh battery from my last lapse of sanity. All systems go. Lets go shoot some film.... I grabbed the Df and out the door I went

Last edited:

:lol: yeah know... Before I went on my WOW Chew shoot, I warmed up a roll of the 120 BN400CN and found my new seal kit for my RB. I though, meh, this is too much work, I'll just grab to ETRS. Dragged out the Bronica, blew off the dust and put in a fresh battery from my last lapse of sanity. All systems go. Lets go shoot some film.... I grabbed the Df and out the door I went
:thumbup:

Rick, "sanity" is over-rated. :lol: The so-called "crazies" have a much richer life.

Nice, especially #2!
Agree with that, it is more interesting photo. Nice angle and perspective, just wish the DoF behind the sign was smaller. I think more softness over there would bring the sign forward and increase the feel of space. BG is quite busy, I would attempt to dodge it a bit, just to see, how this feels.

timor, how about this? I see exactly what you mean and I will be going back to reshoot this one. I added Gaussian blur to it and then masked it off.

Aha ! The sign popped out nicely. But TBH this is a bit too much, especially on the fore plan. I think the building to which the sign belong to should be still sharp as they are together. If you get to reshooting it maybe try to find such a hyperfocal distance to render front plan in acceptable sharpness and just the background creamy. That will keep the viewer still in reality but will add tremendous 3D feel. Right now it is very dreamy. I am not using digital enhancements, but I am using filters. one of them is giving sharp center and the rest is blurred in exactly same way. Filter (cokin) came from the arsenal of ex wedding photographer. :lol: Something like this:
Filters for Photographic Lenses - Creative FIlters - www.cokin.co,.k

Thanks timor. I struggled with how much of the building to show in focus and with how much blur to put in there. I'm not going to mess with it any more, I'm just going to go reshoot it soon.

:thumbup: This particular frame is really promising. Can you make also one more general shot of the whole area ? Just to see the whole settings. Another question, what is your shortest lens ? I have to confess, I am ultrawide sucker (19-24 on FF,) and I would try to get as close to this sign as possible (I guess from bellow ;)) and shoot it with a max aperture. Plus (I duno if possible with digital) I would try to put the BG in zone 7 keeping the sign lower, ideally 2 zones. But it not always works well, ultrawide, red filter and pleasing perspective is not easy to coordinate. :lol: Sorry for talking too much, it is really good find with potential for a pleasing photograph, a wall hanger. :lol:

28mm is as wide as I currently have. I'm starting to see the uses for some ultrawide lenses but haven't found the one I want to get just yet. (I want to upgrade that 28-135mm first, the 24-105 L.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back